how do i stop my 8yr old from wetting the bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You should probably take him to see a doc. My little sis has this problem and it's her bladder not anything she can do about it they are trying some meds that seem to be working.
    Anonymous

• Does he still drink up until bedtime? If so you can stop that about an hour or so before bedtime and have him use the bathroom before bedtime... At this age he should not be wetting the bed, or very rarely, if it is happening alot and he doesnt get to drink before bedtime take him to the Dr. to have him checked, his bladder might be smaller...Most Dr dont worry to much til past age 9 tho.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• have you tried eliminating all dairy? Seriously- it helps a lot of bedwetters.

get him checked tomake sure everything is OK. It probably is, but then you know which direction to go.

my son was a nightly bedwetter until he was 12 or 13- then I read about the dairy connectin one day and figured I didn't have anything to loose and tried it. he went from every nighty to only a couple times a month and by 14.5 we started adding dairy in very very slowly. he could only have 1 serving a week for a while. but at 15.5 he is fine with diary.

it's not an allergy, so allergy testing won't tell you anything, but google diary and bedwetting see if you some with anything useful
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Some kids just take longer. Try the cutting out the drinks at night, getting him/her up and taking her to the bathroom at night, talk to a ped. could be smaller bladder, allergies, and/or dairy issues.
    My brother wet the bed till about 13 too. Turns out it was stress and allergies.
    Just DO NOT make fun or a big deal
    At 8 they can strip their bed and put it in the hamper and what not, but no punishing, yelling, or making fun of.
    Pretty much chances are they don't much like it either.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• You don't , it will stop when there body has grown enough to control it.
    candycane337

Answer by candycane337 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Dont feel bad. I have 2 sons who are 9 and almost 7 and both still wet the bed everynight so your not alone!
    hbuffington

Answer by hbuffington at 5:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• my littlle brother had this problem in the 70's and mom didnt know how to handle it he had to be so sad cause no one talked about it. I hope you dont get angry with him he will carry it forever and he has no control my mom treatened to put a hose on his thing and run it to the bathroom and worst was a treat to make him put his underwear on his head. I realize it was frustration on moms part be patient plz
    jeskay

Answer by jeskay at 8:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2009