Anyone have advice/experience with treating ADD/ADHD naturally?

See my blog post here - http://metrogirl.typepad.com/paradise/2009/03/great-success.html

Any advice would be appreciated - there is so much mixed information and misinformation out there - it's kind of overwhelming.

Thanks!
Laura

Metro.Girl

Asked by Metro.Girl at 6:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I grew up with it and so is my oldest. He takes a very light med during the school year but takes a break in the summer. It really seems to help him and his self esteem jumped a few notches from improving immensley in school. I was on a med when I was younger but as an adult I have learned to manage my disability. Just so you know, we process things very differently than others and can come off abrasive or like we are irresponsible. Our minds go everywhere all the time!! There is no switch to shut it off. I often feel the need to be stimulated at all times. A great book to help you understand it, that helped me so much is called Delivered from Distraction by Edward M. Hallowell MD. If you ever have anyother questions e mail me anytime!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My husband had ADD and now has adult ADD. His mom was determined not to put him on meds (and never did). He had counselors that he could go and talk to. He joined the boy scouts and she made sure he always had enough activity to keep him occupied. He liked taking things apart and working with his hands. Kids with ADD and ADHD CAN pay attention if they're truly interested in something. It helps to try to mold a lesson around them and how they like to learn rather than force them to follow a cookie-cutter classroom type setting of learning where they're bored and distracted. My MIL would check out the teachers before each school year (and also talk to them) and put my DH in a class where she felt the teacher was the most patient and would take time with him. She'll tell you that patience, over abounding in love for your child and energy were her most valuable tools in dealing with ADD naturally lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• take a look at www.sharethecause.com/hastily   There is help.  Email me for further info jmcansler@gmail.com 

Mary

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 9:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Have heard great reviews from others about a supplement called Provex. Go to www.HealthyHome4All.com and sign in. I'll give you a call and tell you a little about it.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 9:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2009