Where to start?

Ok so I have been trying to concieve for really 4 years now. With help for 2. It turns out I don't ovulate correctly. So my hubby and I are considering fostering to adopt and I have no idea where to even start. Any help would be great thanks!

ErinT

Asked by ErinT at 6:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Adoption

• Start with your local social service offices!
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 7:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We did foster to adopt after suffering through secondary infertility and adopted a little girl in 2007. If you want to e-mail me, I'd be happy to help answer your questions!
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 8:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• There are a lot of good books out there on adoption to include Adoption for Dummies. Read whatever you can get your hands on and then start attending adoption agency information meetings. Attend as many as you can and you will see different philosophies come to light, pick who you think best captures your philosophy on adoption.
    LMK1969

Answer by LMK1969 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You can go through your county office or through a private agency. We're going through a private agency. You fill out a lot of paperwork, get fingerprinted, have physicals, take classes, and have a homestudy (which consists of interviews and safety checks around the house). At the end of all that, you get your foster care license! :) It's a lot of effort. Good luck!
    grtlyblesd

Answer by grtlyblesd at 7:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Call your county and ask about an informational orientaion. You fill out all the paperwork, get background checks, take classes, do interviews and home visits. You discuss with the social worker your criteria: gender, age range, number of sibs, openess to special needs. Then you wait to be matched. You are given info and decide whether to accept the placement. You do pre-placement visits with the child before they move into your home. If bio parents' rights are terminated, you can adopt after child has been with you for six months. Cost is virtually zero and there are usually post-adoption subsidies and there is the Federal Adoption Credit. Read up on attachment issues. I recommend Attaching in Adoption by Deborah Gray and Adopting the Hurt Child by Gregory Keck and Regina Kupecky. Adoption.com has a booklet on adopting from foster care. We've had a great experience adopting from foster care. Good luck!
    ForeverMom05

Answer by ForeverMom05 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009