Black rubber staining on my wood dresser...HELP!

I have some black rubber stain marks on my oak dresser top made from the rubber feet on the bottom of a clock.

I have tried to get it off with:
water
vinegar
baking soda
alcohol
goof-off
steel wool (!)
shampoo

I'm at a total loss~ what should I try? This is an expensive piece of furniture that matches the rest of our bedroom set. :-(

timelessglass

Asked by timelessglass at 6:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Thanks for your responses everyone.

My husband got out the rubbing alcohol last night and applied some of his elbow grease to the spots. I guess I wasn't rubbing hard enough because they finally came out. But now we have some lighter spots in the finish. I'm not too worried about them because I can do touch-up stain to fix them.

I'm just relieved we don't have to sand and stain the whole top-that would have been too hard to match the furniture.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• sand it and restain it.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 6:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I was afraid I'd get that answer. Any one else got an idea before I'm reduced to doing that??
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Have you tried the magic eraser...be careful to just keep it in that area though. You might also try a little olive oil.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:53 AM on Mar. 12, 2009