My son is 8 weeks old, he still wakes up 2 times a night for feedings, when will he sleep all night?

TySyd20

Asked by TySyd20 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well.. what do you mean by "sleep through the night"?
    The official meaning is 5 hours in a row. Most babies do that by 6 months. Yes, 6 MONTHS.
    Parents long for 8 hours in a row. Most do that by 9 months.
    Sleeping from bedtime to morning usually happens after 12 months.

Sorry. That's one of the dirty little secrets of parenthood. The saying "sleeps like a baby" is one of the biggest lies ever told.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Between 1 and 2 years old. Depends on when you ween him and potty train. Depends on the child too.

Answer by louise2 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My son started sleeping between 3-4 months, but even then there were some nights that he would wake up due to teething or such. But he sleeps from 8pm-7am but he is now 13 months.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Oh, and if your little one ends up being a good sleeper, just nod sympathetically when another mom is complaining about the lack of sleep. Bragging about your good sleeper is not a polite thing to do.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• All babies are different...you're not far away though.

Try putting him down a little later...like feed him a small amount right before you put him down, or play with him a bit longer than you usually would. The extra stimulation should wear him out.

And you could also do either of the above in a combo with a nice refreshing bath. ^_^
    My little girl sleeps wonderfully after a warm bath and fresh jammies.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 6:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• At 8 weeks, consider yourself one of the luckier ones that he ONLY wakes a couple of times a night.

Some are sleeping through already, some at about 6 months, some closer to a year, some over a year....there are too many variables involved with kids to say when they will do anything.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My lo starting sleeping through the night at 7-8 weeks (8 hours). Before I had her I read the book "Baby Wise"- please no bashing, and while I don't follow it to a T, it had a lot of good advice and I took what I was comfortable with and I honestly think that the things I did were what got her to sleep through the night so soon.

The thing I found most helpful was the eat/wake/sleep cycle it suggested. She is almost 6 months and we still follow that cycle and she still takes 3 naps a day and sleeps 12 hours a night.

Also, when you wake up keep the lights low so your lo knows it's night. Don't play or anything, just diaper change, feed, then put him down.

Good luck! Hopefully it will happen soon!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• What the heck is a "lo"?
    Anonymous

• He's still so young...you're lucky its only 2 times anight...usually its every 1/5-2 hours especially if BFing....you have a while but my DD was sleeping for 5 hours a nite by 3 months.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• MINE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT AS IN OVER 7 HOURS AT 2 WEEKS.... SHE WAS ON A VERY STRICT FEEDING AND SLEEPING SCHEDULE AS SOON AS I GOT HER HOME. BED TIME WAS AT 11PM SO I FED HER AT 10:30. THEN ROCKED HER TO SLEEP. (MORE LIKE BURPED HER TO SLEEP) EVERY GREAT NOW AND THEN I'D HAVE TO GET UP AROUND 5 TO GIVE HER ANOTHER BOTTLE. BUT I HAD A BED SIDE SLEEPER BASSINET (LIFE SAVER!!!) BEFORE I GOT HER CRIB. AFTER SHE GOT HER CRIB AROUND 4 MONTHS I PUT HER TO BED EARLIER AROUND 9 AND SHE EATS WHEN SHE WANTS TO. I BOUGHT HER THE "NUBY 3 STAGE" BOTTLES WITH THE HANDLES.... SHE LEARNED TO HOLD IT ON HER OWN VERY QUICKLY. SHE'S 7 MONTHS NOW.... AND I JUST LEAVE A BOTTLE IN HER CRIB AND WHEN SHE WANTS IT, SHE GETS IT. BUT THOSE "NUBY 3 STAGE BOTTLES" ARE EXCELLENT FOR TEETHING AND TEACHING BABY HOW TO HOLD A BOTTLE OR CUP.... THEY ARE GREAT!!
    honeybee88

Answer by honeybee88 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2009