Breastfeeding and a Full Time Job

Hey everyone! I'm about to be off my maternity leave in 3 weeks and would like to keep breastfeeding my daughter. However I work from 7-3, with only a 1/2 lunch break. How do you working moms keep your milk supply up? I can more than likely pump during lunch, but I'm afraid my supply will dry up and my daughter won't get enough. What am I supposed to do? How do you handle the soreness from not being able to feed the babe or pump for so long? Really appreciate your advice, thanks.

lilmommy0416

Asked by lilmommy0416 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It will decrease your supply. I don't know what you do for a job but talk to your boss about it....I work in the medical field and have been fortunate enough to stay home with my DD for the first 5 months and now I only work Perdiem(as needed) but I just pump right before I leave for work so that DH can feed her when he and she wakes up and then I take my pump with me to work....Legally you are required a 15 minute break for every 4 hours of work and a 30 minute lunch break for 8 hours worked. Anyway, that being said, if you can pump on your 15 minute break and at lunch and then just squeeze in a couple other times if possible. Just explain that that is the source of your daughters food and if you don't pump every couple hours you will become engorged, (especially in the beginning). and that you need to keep pumping to keep up your supply. and then just nurse her as much as possible at home. Good LUck!!:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• also, start pumping now to get a supply built up in your freezer (if you haven't already) and just store it in bags 2 oz. each. That way you can always thaw out more without throwing any away and just start your reserve now.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I'm a teacher and I also only get a 30 minute lunch break. I pump in the mornings before I leave for work, and then I pump at lunch. I pump after my kids leave, and then again when I get home. Make sure you drink plenty of water during the day. It also took my body a couple of weeks to adjust to pumping. It would be a good idea to go ahead and start at least once a day. Pump at the time that you'll be pumping once you go back to work. I think it's a great thing you're planning to do! My DD is 9 months old and I went back to work when she was 8 weeks old. It's hard, but you can make it work!
    Tara0508

Answer by Tara0508 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Find out if your company will allow you to punch out for your breaks, or work longer hours to make up the time. But you really DO need to keep on schedule and pump as often as you can. Having a boss that allows you the time to pump is a rare thing.... you should think about discussing with him/her prior to your return, so as not to cause issues on your first days of return.
    Good luck to you.
    frasermom23

Answer by frasermom23 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• What state do you live in? Some states have laws that require employers of a certain size to give breastfeeding mothers extra breaks to pump. Check here for your state's laws:

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm

Also, as a pp said, pump both before and after work, and it is very important to get a supply built up in the freezer now. With a double electric pump, it is very easy to nurse on one side and pump on the other, and doing so has the best pumping results since you get letdown while nursing.

If your supply starts to decrease, there are things you can do, such as increasing water intake and taking fenugreek.

Talk to your employer. You may end up having to pump on your lunch break and your 10 minute breaks, but every pumping break counts, and you're doing the best for your baby.

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 9:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2009