pain when breastfeeding?

My son is 6 wks and I am trying so hard to b/f but my nipples are killing me!! The lactation consultant and the nurses have all said that he is latching properly, but my nipples are still flat afterwards and hurt SO badly! I now have to supplement with formula because I just can't feed him. Any advice?? (he is not tongue tied)

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 7:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard that breast shields work wonders in your situation.

I also suggest joining a breastfeeding group here on cafemom. They can be really helpful.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Have you tried a nipple shield? I have flat nipples and it was the only way I could even make the attempt. (I had other major issues)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• go to you pharmasist and ask for bag balm, in the green tin...it helps soften the nipple to help it expand... its not perscription.... it saved my life!!!! plus it gets easier at 10 weeks, thats how long it takes for the breast to adjust.... now i'm almost to 8 months with my little one ands now its soo easy! i feel your pain though... just keep at it, your doing a great job!!!
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I also second the breast shield advice. Also, contact your local la leche league chapter. Search online at www.llli.org for a local group. Meetings and advice is all free, membership is optional. Good luck mama. Keep it up. Make sure to use lansinoh after EVERY feeding and get some help/support from the women in your LLL group.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 2:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2009