What has been the worst homework assignment your child ever had to complete?

We all have them; the homework assignment that makes your toes curl and your stomach ache as your child shows you what they have to complete. It might be a weekly drill or a one-time research project. I'm curious to know what homework assignments you dread, and why.

spedtchrmom

Asked by spedtchrmom at 7:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• my daughter had a research project that needed to be 3 dimensional plus had to include all details , including color facts etc. took us forevre it seemed like to get it all done . the project turned out pretty neat but was a huge head ache at the same time . Just the word homework at times makes me cringe ..lol
    booboo32

Answer by booboo32 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• UGH, the one we had 3 weeks to do and as usual he just finished typing it right now. All the questions and complaining he had. After the research he realized he didn't like the person he chose to do it on because they had too much scandal in their life and was a questionable person but it was too late! Then doing the bibliography was tough because we hadn't taken notes on that before, I could go on. Now I am crossing my fingers that he gets a decent score and doesn't come home scolding ME because I steered him in the wrong direction.

screaming

Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• The worst project was election time. When their teachers expect them to stay up all night and color a map of USA either red or blue for who won.
    It was awful! Everyone (theh whole class) was tired from staying up late. But I'm sure in 4 years we'll do it again.
    It was an easy thing to do, but to sit and watch TV ALL night was too much.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 1:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have had a ton of homework with my kids that make me scratch my head, but the newest one is odd. My DD (in the 11th grade) has to write a 10 page, single spaced play with only dialogue, and the topic is "corner, corners and cornered"....HUH?
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• So far we have not had anything too difficult, but my son is only in 3rd grade. I am NOT looking forward to all the crazy projects and reports in the future at all....because lets face it, the parents end up spending as much time helping as the kids do writing and researching... ugh.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:01 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We haven't had anything too bad this year, but in the 2nd grade, my d came home with a math assignment and the note attached from the teacher said, " I don't expect this to be finished. I do not understand how to do it, but I have to send it home anyway. School rules." Isn't that the sadest thing? The school distirict has adopted a "new math" theme here and it really stinks. Everything I was taught (I'm only 39) is "wrong" and when I try to help my d, she doesn't understand it. It's no wonder our world is in a mess!
    momofkimmie

Answer by momofkimmie at 11:34 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• All the math from K-5!!! It is new math and was done left to right and all kinds of werid ways. I am still confused and I took a parent class on how to do the math just so I could help with homework. Also, when my son was in K he had these little math assignments like counting all the rectangles in the house, drawing his bedroom. I would have to say the weird math still boggles my mind and he is now in 7th grade and doing his math the "old way" like I learned (i'm 37).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009