HOW THE HELL do I get my toddler son (3) to stop bugging the cat.

It drives me up the wall.

Being calm and taking him away, yelling, time outs, put for naps, toys taken away, showing him how to be nice to cats, etc does not work.

His eyes get psycho around the cat and the cat has nowhere to hid (being it's an indoor cat) and could totally try to scratch him and has once or twice, but it doesn't stop him.

No he isn't as bad as my niece was with her cats, she would do the psycho "glazed" look with death grip around their poor little necks.

but he lays on her, pushes her back to the floor, laughs, pulls her tail, pulls out her hair, bugs and bugs her constantly. OM

WE HAD THIS cat before he was even born. He does it to my parents cats when he's over there, too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put the cat in a room, That your son can't go in..Or get rid of the cat.

Answer by louise2 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• There are no rooms to put our cat in, we have an "open" house. Cat isn't allowed in our room (allergies) and so she can only go in all the open rooms or the kid's rooms, where my son can easily torture the cat! Ugh. Irritating! I can't lock the cat up all day in the bedroom that would be rude, too. I wish my son would just learn. I swear kids knew their place and listened back in the 1600's I bet! lol
    Anonymous

• I had the same problem with my lil one when we got a cat.. Does the cat run from him or does he chase after it ? the cat prolly just figures it should deal with it since the poor thignn has no choice.
    booboo32

Answer by booboo32 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Same thing happened to us. We sent the cat to my in laws to live. He was a good cat, but it wasn't fair for him to be harrassed constantly- ALL DAY, every day.

Some others may have a suggestion. But my son, at 2 and 3, just had no impulse control at all. It didn't matter how much trouble he got in or rewards we offered for being sweet. He would do good and then not 5 minutes later he would be at it again.

He wasn't trying to be bad- I really just think he couldn't control it.

Anonymous

• Man tell me about it. I have the same issue with my 3yr old. But I don't have a cat, I have a 1yr old baby girl. My son loves to bug and bug her all day or night long. How do i get him to stop, i honestly do not know, you bet I've tried all you have tried too. Except for one thing I can't send my daughter away. God help us.

nidiya

Answer by nidiya at 3:20 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My 27 month old does the same thing to ours, but ours bites & scratches if he doesn't leave him alone after a while so eventually he quits. But I think my DS does it because our old cat liked it when Gav laid his head on him and pulled at him, the cat just laid there & purred. Best cat I ever had! I will note that DS doesn't do this at Grandma & Grandpa's(they have 2 cats), just at home. His kitty must be more fun to bug or something.
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 6:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Well discipline your son. Every time he bothers the cat spank him. Or just let the cat scratch your son. If your son gets scratched or bit enough he will stop bothering the cat. I would get rid of the cat. It's not worth the trouble keeping it.

I don't think the cat would mind being locked in a room where your son couldn't bother it. It probably would be happy.

In the 1600's if a child didn't listen to his parents he got a good spanking, , ,he would know not to do that again..LOL

Answer by louise2 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• OK. let me say this and then everyone can come back and yell and cuz me out for being abusive and cruel.

We use a watergun (not a super soaker, a small one from the dollar store). When our toddler girl wouldn't leave the computers alone, we squirted her in the face with water. She soon learned and stopped. When our then 9 mo old screamed just to scream (nothing wrong) we squirted him too. He hasn't scream for months. Come to think of it, it works on the cat clawing the window screens too!
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have 6 kids, and have usually had a cat most of the time. I warned my kids they would gget scratched if they didn't leave the kitty alone and then let nature take it's course. Once they got scratched good a time or 2 they learned not to torture kitty. Kitty also learned to get out of the way quicker and find better hiding places (like behind the couch, on top of the fridge, on a chair at the back of the table). We recently got a new kitty. All of my older kids already know not to torture kitty, now it's my 2 year old's turn to learn...he's learning quickly.
    6KidzMommie

Answer by 6KidzMommie at 11:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I was going to suggest a squirt bottle but the water gun works just as well.
    Sillymommy8405

Answer by Sillymommy8405 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2009