How can you stop a kid from biting?

My SIL watches DS (22 mo). She also has 2 DS's of her own, almost 5 and 17 mo. Her 17 mo old is in a biting stage. He bites EVERYONE. My DS has bite marks on him. She doesn't know what to do. He will attack in a second, before you even have a chance to stop it. I've seen it. My DS wont fight back. He just sits there and takes it. Most the time he doesn't even cry or anything. He is teething and SIL gives him teething medicine and stuff to chew on, but it doesn't stop him. She bops him in the mouth and even puts him in time out. Her older DS even bit him back one time.

tln1

Asked by tln1 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd love to say just bite him back. I only had to do it once with each of my kids, but I have a friend who has an 8 year old who still bites her brother, so I really don't know.
    Anonymous

• I'd go with time out. Have her do it like this: say to the child "no biting" then hold the child in her lap facing away from her for one minute and then repeat "no biting" give a kiss, and move on.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We had a friend who did the hot sauce thing a child who bites had to put hotsauce on hisself and bite it. Never the less we know little ones dont like hot sauce
    rachabro

Answer by rachabro at 9:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2009