why do some parents think its okay to smoke?

my neighbor has just had a baby and she still smokes around him I mean cigarettes and weed. how can they believe this is not a serious problem not a only that it comes threw the vents into my apartment sometimes. and my child has asthma. I am worried to death all the time about her inhaling that mess and we end up admitted into the hospital and I would move but the money is tight right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Ignorance, denial, refusal to admit that it is harmful and holding on to the threads of research that will pop up here and there that will claim that it isn't harmful. Laziness and the invincibility factor "it won't happen to me/my kid" are also at play here. We are supposed to lose the "invicibility factor" (an actual psychological term) after we enter into young adulthood but some people never lose it. Sometimes just plain stubborn "it's my choice, it's my house and I'll do what I want with it" are so powerful people forget how they're harming others.

We can't make their decisions for them. We can only hope that their kids still turn out healthy and that everything is OK. It sucks that if effects you and your child though. I have Asthma and second hand smoke is something I try to steer clear of.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It's one thing to do it, but why in front of the baby or by the baby? Ugh....
    Anonymous

• I don't understand why anyone would smoke in font of their child.. as a former smoker .. I did not allow ANYONE to smoke around her and still don't
    roseakasis

Answer by roseakasis at 7:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• go tell your apt complex they are smoking inside i bet they arent allowed to or if they are say something about the smoke getting through the vents....

weed is one thing but cigarettes is fine but i dont think they should smoke in their home
    Anonymous

• I think a lot of people are selfish and they put their own desires before the needs of their kids. Quiting smoking is hard, but when you have a baby, parents should be willing to sacrifice whatever it takes to do what's best for the health and well being of their children. Some parents just aren't mature or responsible enough to do that.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Because they are idiots and if you know for sure they are smoking weed I would call CPS
    Anonymous

• Why do some parents think its okay to smoke(cigs)?
    Well maybe because they are adults and are allowed to make decisions for themselves, and were probably smoking and addicted before they had children.
    Why do some people think its okay to smoke around their children?
    Because of laziness and ignorance.
    I think its okay, as a parent to smoke if you must, I know I do, but never around my children, in my home, or in my car whether they are in them or not.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• reply to auntiemom 410: I hear what you are saying about being an adult and having a right to make choices as an a adult. but what you fail to realize is that when you become a parent your children are to come first. and just because you do not smoke around your children. does not make it any better . you are their mother and if you end up sick (god forbid) and something happens to you your children are without a mommy. I know its addictive but I feel every parent who smokes should take that extra effort to quit for their health and the childs health.
    Anonymous