Tips on weening.

How can i ween my 15 month old from breastfeeding. and how can i get her to sleep on her own and through the night. She has 6 teeth now and the 4 growing in now are the top front and the ones beside them. Its killing me to breastfeed and i cant pump enough for her, she likes to have the breast in the mouth while she sleep's she wont take a passy. please if anyone has any advice help me out. I did make the mistake of putting her in the bed and falling asleep while breastfeeding but now i want to make things right. =D thank you!

Tmehiar

Asked by Tmehiar at 7:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's gonna sound mean, but just say no to the night-time boob. After she gets used to that, slowly cut back on her other feedings. I would offer her a sippy cup of water that she can have all night (it won't hurt her teeth that way). My kids can't live without water cups at night. Weaning is hard, but I'm guessing that the older they get, the harder it is. I weaned mine at 10 months. My friend's daughter will be 2 on Saturday and she is having pure hell with the process. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• My 10 month old is still nursing but I have FINALLY got her into her own bed. After weeks of trying to be a nice mommy I finally just had to let her CIO. And you know what? Tonight is the 4th night and she only cried for 5 minutes! And last night she slept from 11:30-6! So I think that sometimes you just have to put your foot down and be consistent. Good luck on weaning, though, my bobbie monster is nowhere near ready for that ;o)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• persistance is key to anything you do with your child. i'm going to have to guess... maybe give her a sippy cup of milk or water. Sippy cups have a rubber mouth piece so she can chew the hell out of it if she wants to really. just make sure she doesnt end up tearing it. but like give her a drink before bed or baby cereal right before bed. should be enough to get her to sleep without the boob. if she gets up in the middle of the night.. just let her CIO. she'll fall back to sleep eventually and i know its hard to let her CIO cuz i've done it all the time. still have to cuz my daughter loves to be held and she's 10 months now. my son is 2 and has this routine of being held as someone is leave our home just to wave. so persistance is key. you have to be persistant on laying down the rule and persistant in getting them to sit down for meals and etc.... GOOD LUCK
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 3:37 AM on Mar. 12, 2009