rolling in sleep

My 5month old has been rolling over in her sleep alot latley. At first she would roll to her belly and smush her face in to the mattress, then scream for me to come get her. Now she rolls to her stomach and has figured out how to turn her head to the side and she just falls back to sleep. Last night i managed to roll her back over and she was ok and didnt wake up, but most nights she will wake if i try to roll her. I end up rocking her at 1 in the morning. But should I just leave her on her stomach or roll her over?

KeagansMom08

Asked by KeagansMom08 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 6 month old has been doing that for 2 months now also. Usually I flip him over after he's been sleeping on his stomach for at least a half hour, then I know he's in a deep sleep and won't wake up. During the middle of the night though I don't wake up much and he's always on his stomach. I think they're fine as long as they can roll over both ways and they know now to turn their heads. I wouldn't worry. As I write this my son has been sleeping on his tummy for about a half hour.
    Anonymous

• WOW... MY DAUGHTER CAME HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL ABLE TO PICK UP HER HEAD AND ROLL OVER. MY DAUGHTER PREFERS TO SLEEP ON HER TUMMY...WITH HER BUTT IN THE AIR. JUST TRY BUYING ONE OF THE INFANT SLEEPER THINGYS. BUT IT WILL ONLY WORK IF YOUR BABY ISN'T STRONG ENOUGH TO ROLL OVER IT.... AFTER A MONTH I COULDN'T USE MINE ANY MORE CAUSE SHE'D WIGGLE OUT OF IT SO SHE COULD SLEEP ON HER TUMMY. I NEVER WORRIED ABOUT SIDS CAUSE SHE'S A BEAST! LOL NO SHE'S JUST VERY STRONG AND CAN ROLL HER SELF AROUND. SHE CAN CRAWL, AND SHE'S TRTING TO STAND UP ON HER OWN AND CAN ALMOST DO IT. AND SHE WALKS IF YOU HOLD HER HANDS. SHE LOVES TO WALK BUT IT KILLS MY BACK. SHE'S ONLY 7 MONTHS.
    honeybee88

Answer by honeybee88 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Our pedi said if they can roll over on their own you can leave them there. Just make sure there aren't any blankets in the way. The wearable blanket called the Halo Sleep Sack is completely safe.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2009