I don't know much about autism.......

My fiance has two sisters. Both of them have a child with autism. My fiance's brother's child doesn't have it and neither does my fiance's two kids from a previous marriage. Could it be that in their family only the females are carriers? I have also read that it is not hereditary. I just wanted some points of view on this. We are ttc. Thanks to all that comment. :)

_Momma_

Asked by _Momma_ at 8:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I dont believe anyone really knows the answer to that. Wish they did. Its a valid theory though.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• The latest research has narrowed what scientists believe is an "autism gene" located on one of 4 strands of DNA (the genetic makeup located within every cell). Both of my sons are autistic--had NO IDEA this was even a possibility when we got pregnant. There are no developmental delays on either side of our families. But in looking back over their birth pictures and the early developmental months, I can see where they were showing the signs, we just didn't recognize it.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/01/autism_gene.html

Fortunately or us our boys are high functioning/verbal...but their improvements came as a result of MANY hours of therapy (no medication).

As of yet there are no prenatal tests that can determine or predict autism or who is likely to be a carrier.

continued:
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• All I can hypothesize is that with my first, one week before my due date, I had an ultrasound and it was discovered that my amniotic fluid was critically low, and I was immediately admitted and induced that evening.

Oligohydramnios CAN lead to developmental delays/disabilities. I think because it was caught early, there was minimal damage to my sons brain. Of course, I feel guilty, and wish I had had some sort of gut instinct something was wrong, and to request an ultrasound earlier. With my second, because of my amniotic fluid issue, I elected to have him induced 2 1/2 weeks early--he was almost 8 pounds and both of our vitals were strong and healthy. So I with him I wonder if I had waited till he was ready to be born, he would have had developed more?

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Thank you LoriKeet.

Do you think it has anything to do with the "MMR" shot? I just wanted to know your opinion.
    Thanks again.
    _Momma_

Answer by _Momma_ at 8:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• i am a mother of 4, registered nurse and i always try to find alternatives to the standard practice of medicine. Please look at www.sharethecause.com/hastily  which talks about specific  diseases  influenced by  toxins  and heavy metals.  I use this in my family since  the food, water and the air we breathe  are full of toxins and heavy metals.  Email me for further info jmcansler@gmail.com

Mary

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 10:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2009