Does our justice system really care about whats in the best interest of the children??

I am a single mom of 3, my oldest two are my daughter who is 11 and my son is 9. I have been divorced from their father for 8 years. My ex has remarried and has decided that he now wants residental custody of our children. We have been in this custody battle for 2 years and i have spent over $30,000 in attorney fee's. Because of the ecomomy my job has dropped my hours from 40-50hrs a week to 15-20. as a result of this I was not able to continue to pay $310 hr attorney fees. My attorney withdrew from my case because I could not pay. I tried to apply for legal aid and was denied because my ex husband appreantly applied and even though he was denied they said it was a conflict of interest so they could not help me. I am running out of room and will not be able to finish my story in depth, but basically i was foced to sign a agreement and my ex now has custody. Even though I have the schools, and the dr's on my side.

destyniesmom

Asked by destyniesmom at 8:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in About CafeMom

• You can not be forced to sign anything. You could have represented yourself and taken it to the judge.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• the justice system in this country is seriously flawed. unless you have a lot of money it is hard to get anything done in court.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 8:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I did go to the judge, and told him I did not want to sign a agreement, that I did not feel it was in the best interest of my children, that after speaking to several other attorneys after mine withdrew that a evaluation should have been the first thing to have been done. But instead he waits two years before asking for one and if this case would have been handled appropriately and that would have been the case then this would have possibly been over a long time ago and I would have not run out of money. He had absolutely no response. The judge did not even look at me!! As for representing myself, that I thought about doing but there is a lot more of other costs then just attorney fee's. There are court cost, the cost of the evaluation which by the way is another $10,000 and then the cost of the trial, the Guardian at Litem that costs $210. a hour and I have already paid him $5000 and thats just for our initial visit and
    destyniesmom

Answer by destyniesmom at 11:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• and 2 court appearances. He still needed to come to my home, go to the kids schools, interview the children and I, speak with the childrens dr. which is very important because my son is autistic and this change is going to be very hard for him. He goes to a special school and requires a lot of work. I have more to say but I have to feed my baby. I will post another answer as soon as I can.
    destyniesmom

Answer by destyniesmom at 11:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• You cannot be forced to sign anything. I've faced this problem a couple of times and was told it's almost immpossible to have children taken away from a good mom. I represented myself once and had a legal aid attorney another time. I do think our judicial system sucks. I've raised my 2 year old since he was 4 weeks old. His mom has been in and out of jail and is always on drugs. Since I am not a blood relative his bio grandma adopted him. She doesn't want him so he lives with me most of the time. I do not understand why a judge would give children to the person who screwed up the mother, but it happens all the time.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 5:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009