Cutting the cord...

Is it better to wait until the cord has stopped pulsing to cut it? if so why? (making my birth plan asks the ? and I wasn't sure why it mattered.)

gettingfat89

Asked by gettingfat89 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i think it is
    but i could not wait the
    doc cut the cord and a few mins later she was in the NICU
    but if i could have choosen i would have waited (if i did not have to get the emergancy c-section)
    Anonymous

• There are benefits to delayed cord clamping, you can search Google for more info. I'd share links but am one handed as I'm nursing my baby at the moment.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• try the website whale-to (I forget if it was a dot com or what but google it) there are some opinions on it. It is a science based website. It gives some detailed info. You'll have to look around a little bit though but it is at least interesting reading.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• some people say is "abuse" actually -
    In a normal birth, the child emerges and utilizes the oxygen flowing through the umbilical cord for the transition period after birth. - They say the placenta should be delivered before cutting the cord -

I just read a little about it cause i was curious from your post - here is the link -

http://www.empoweredchildbirth.com/articles/birth/cord.html
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• out of my three, the last was the one who we delayed cord clamping... he did not breathe immediately, and did not have to be stimulated to do so... it was great-he was rosy pink and never had any issue maintaining body temp, though he was the smallest of my three. he was also a waterbaby, which if you're in favor of NCB i would SERIOUSLY look into!!! for more reasons than i have space to list.

all of the other moms gave you scientific info- i was about to... but hey, personal experience has a place as well.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• the reason that you would wait until it has stopped pulsing(assuming there are no problems)is because it suppilies oxygen to baby and a last boost of imunities as well. It allows baby to get breathing on its own, tide baby over. Not a big deal if it is cut before it stops pulsing,baby just wont get the last boost of imunnities.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 8:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• For oxytocin to work perfectly during third stage, the new mother needs to feel private, safe and undisturbed at this time. As Michel Odent suggests, she should have nothing to do but touch and gaze at her new baby.5 A warm atmosphere is also crucial to enhance oxytocin release. If the new mother is fearful, cold or disturbed, her oxytocin levels can be affected which can increase her risk of bleeding. We should consider this time, after the birth, in the same light as love-making (when we also make peak levels of oxytocin, the hormone of love) and offer the new mother and baby the same privacy and respect.

With this in mind, I do not recommend clamping or cutting the cord, at least until the baby's placenta is delivered and possibly for an hour after birth. Not only does this activity disturb the sacredness of this time, but it can also seriously affect the well-being of mother and baby.

cali4niachef

Answer by cali4niachef at 2:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• For example, early clamping (within 30 seconds ofbirth) can deprive the baby of around 100 ml of blood, and may compromise the function of newborn organs and brain.6 This blood, known as the placental transfusion, is passed through the cord from the placenta to the baby with each uterine contraction in third stage, and is designed to fill all the organs that the baby has not used in the womb- the lungs, kidney, gut, liver and skin. Early-clamped babies also lose the iron contained in the placental transfusion -- which is equivalent to the iron in 100 litres of breastmilk -- and are more likely to be anemic at 3 months.7 Early clamping is necessary for cord blood collection, which is one reason I do not recommend this.

cali4niachef

• You should wait until the cord stops pulsing to clamp it. When you go into labor, about half of the babies blood backs up into the placenta as a means to help ensure the placenta does not detach from the uterine wall until it is time. After the birth of the placenta, the blood pumps back into the baby. If you cut it prematurely, the baby doesn't get all their blood back. I believe it then takes until 6 months for the blood levels to get back up? Not positive on that. Prematurely cutting the cord can also cause jaundice. Some docs will tell you that not cutting the cord right away will cause jaundice but this is old information back when they used to milk the cord. DO NOT let them milk the cord! This damages the blood cells, causing jaundice. Let the cord pulse in its own time.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2009