regular milk

my son is over 8 months old and refusing formula.. and I mean refusing!
everyone is telling me to switch him to whole milk, maybe with formula added...

What do you guys think and have you ever experienced this and had to switch to whole milk this early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• His body isn't ready for whole milk yet. You need to keep trying the formula or contact your pediatrician to find out what else you can use. I have had friends that went on soy early but at the pediatricians recommendation.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-mix-formula-with-milk_9140.bc
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Is he eating anything, solids? I'd check with the dr. before switching. He usually needs 12 months on formula. I have heard of them not wanting the bottle before a year. Have you tried a faster nipple or putting it in a sippy cup? He may be having trouble getting enough to be satisfied. If it continues, talk to the dr. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• refuses the sippy
    and yes, he is eating solids, but refuses formula in any way shape or form.
    Anonymous

• If you do end up doing it (though you really shouldn't - my daughter went through a period of refusing, and now she takes it again - she is 10months) you aren't supposed to mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with formula...I don't recall why, but the WIC lady had a very fast very definite "no" when I asked her about weening my daughter using that method.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Try 2 % milk. My doctor said it was ok at 9 months when my son wouldn't drink formula anymore. He refused.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• And I don't blame them for not wanting it anymore!
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• DO NOT switch to whole milk. It can cause his stomach lining to bleed and can cause really serious problems. Sometimes ones that you don't see right away. It's not just a question of not getting the right nutrients, so adding formula won't help. It's that the system cannot handle cow's milk at that point. I'd talk to your pediatrician for recommendations on what to do. But my instinct would be not to offer any other fluids for a little while. He can't hold out forever.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• he will take juice or pedialite ( which we offered to keep him hydrated) but he will take the bottle like 1 mintue and then he pitches a fit if we try to make him take it. Sometimes resulting in vomitting. I have tried the next step formula ( pedi recommended) and he did the same with that. This all started when we tried to introduce sippy to him. I think we ruined him trying to make him take the sippy ( and he STILL won't take one). The dr says " oh he will when he's hungry" but the truth of the matter is, we have been "waiting" on him to take it for 3 weeks and he hasn't started liking it YET. I am afraid he never will again. The pedi isn't being much help ( none of them are) so I am turning to you guys for help!
    Anonymous

• That is when I switched my son.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:47 AM on Mar. 12, 2009