DADS THAT DONT HAVE TO PAY SUPPORT

I wanted to know if it is fair that my babys dad is on SSI not SSD and he doesn't have to pay a dime to support for the baby....I was thinking about going and fighting this b/c its only in pa that guys on SSI don't have to pay support but guys on SSD have to pay...so should i go an fight it or just leave it be

Litlegourd

Asked by Litlegourd at 8:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that if the father receives SSI/SSDI, the child is also eligible for benefits. Try that first because its wayyyyy more dependable than child support.

If that doesn't work, fight it and fight it hard!
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• id fight that. he was fine when he made a baby-therefore he needs to pay for his baby. thats b.s.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with both pp. I find out about child benefits and then fight if you can't get them. He was well enough to create the baby he should be well enough to support him.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My thoughts exactly he should have to pay he was perfectly capable to make our 15 month old he should have to pay.....It will be a long fight though cuz i have to go through the state representative and do a petition and get so many signatures in an allotted amount of time
    Litlegourd

Answer by Litlegourd at 9:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• your baby should be getting benfits as well. i am sure on this because my mom gets ssi and when i was a minor i would get about 100.00 per month and my sister got a check too.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure about PA.. but the above PP's probably have the best advice.. in NY I know even if you claim poverty, your suppose to pay SOMETHING.. I believe it's $25 a month. But it also depends on the judge.. sometimes a different judge will give you different results.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• you kid will get more in ssi then they will in child support in the state of minnesota if you get welfare and you pay child support you do not pay it while on welfare you have to get off of welfare to pay child support again.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think that if the father receives SSI/SSDI, the child is also eligible for benefits.

This is true.  I worked at DSS for years and saw lots of kids getting "ssi" just because their parents did.  Check it out.

Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i have been through 2 support hearings and to the social security office an all 3 times i have been told that my child is not eligible for any benefits from his fathers ssi
    Litlegourd

Answer by Litlegourd at 12:04 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have never received support from my daughter's father, and she wants for nothing. We just work a little harder.

It's not fair, but YOU CAN do this on your own, and man, does it feel GOOD when you do.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2009