how to discipline a seven year old.

luskmom

Asked by luskmom at 9:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe some more details...what specific are you talking about. We discipline differently depending on what the action is.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• depending on circumstance, take away toys, take away tv, take away gameboy,ds, etc., send to bed early, do not let them have snack, go to friends house, have friends over...etc.

i dont know what action exacty you are trying to discipline, but those are some generics.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with pp, but I've also got a work for me system, if they are ugly or disrespectful to me or to each other then they have to work for me...this means doing some of my chores like sweeping, dishes, folding laundry, they hate this punishment.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Writing sentences is a good discipline.
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 1:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Each child has different responses to discipline. I can tell you what I do...
    My son and I sat down at the beginning of the year and laid down the expectations that should be carried at home and everywhere else.
    1.School Comes First
    2. Respect Everyone
    3. No Whining

He helped me come up with the disciplinary actions.
    1. No Time with Friends
    2. No TV/Games
    3. Early Bed Time (Which he absolutely hates)

He gets a warning when he is breaking an expectation and then we go straight to list.
    It is not all negative though.
    For every good day, he receives a star and when he collects 10 stars he is allowed a prize (a trip to the arcade, an ice cream cone, Pizza, a movie...the list is endless)

BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 1:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• We have a system of points. She starts with 7 points everyday. She has to do 7 chores. She has to respect adults and she has to get along with her siblings. If she acts up there is no warning. I make her take a point away from her name. If she disobeys and loses all points, she doesnt get to play her favorite wii game before bedtime.(the only time during the weekdays we allow to play wii). If she keeps all her points for the whole week we allow her to pick one of the Sat. Family things we do. (movie, park, out to eat, bowling, etc)... All the kids have an op to pick a fun thing we do as a fam on Sat's...
    dancenmomi

Answer by dancenmomi at 1:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2009