My almost 1 year old... IS SO ATTACHED TO ME!!

my DS was sick 1 month ago... so he was held for 3 days straight, even sleeping. he's so annoying now when he goes to anyone else but me (sometimes DH) he screams and cries and throws a tantrum and almost all the time, i let him scream it out in their arms. but he does not stop if he's by his toys or something, without a person. the screams actually don't normally stop. i cannot stand this! i don't know what to do anymore. i thought certainly after all this time he would be out of this phase. i'm with him everyday, try not to carry him every single second, i even get to take him to work with me. i only work twice a week for a few hours at a time. and that's at his Grammy's house!! so she's with him when i work. what in the world. any different advice i could use to try something different?????? thanks!

EliMomma

Asked by EliMomma at 9:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sometimes kids just cry for the attention since he knows that you will pick him up right away. which I can understand when they are sick . maybe you should try just letting him cry it out a bit , sit him infront of the tv watching a movie or put toys where he can play or read stories, play blocks. Just so he knows your not gonna be holding him 24/7 . I know its hard but we all been through it . you just have to hang in there and give him other opinions instead of your arms . hope this helps you both out a tad.
    booboo32

Answer by booboo32 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I read on baby center when they are having anxiety issues to play hide and seek with them Start out hiding for 1-2 min and then increase each time This way they get used to you being away for a bit, but also know that you will be back Have you left the house and had someone else watch him? If so what does he do? Baby center also said to reassure that you will be coming back and to not sneak out I wouldn't let him scream in someones arms Try to see if he will go to them, but if not let him calm down, and then try again If he still isn't calming down, you can always do a little time out My daughter at 13 mo would scream loud and I would get so mad, but I realized that she is doing it for attention I would put her in a chair and tell her not to scream and walk away even if she was crying hysterically Not even a minute later I would go back there tell her calmly not to scream and we hugged and that was it Hang in there

mamahildman3

Answer by mamahildman3 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2009