does anyone else think is ridiculous when people accuse others (i mean extended family and friends) of "stealing" a nAME?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• yeah...
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• LOL that's stupid it's no ones name till it's on the birth certificate, fair game yo!
    Anonymous

• NOT UNLESS YOU AND THAT FAMILY NEVER TALK THEN MAYBE!!!
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• yes ridiculous...i announced my dd's name before i knew if my 2nd cousin was even having a girl and apparently she is STILL offended.
    Anonymous

• Sorry I guess I'm out of the norm. But my husband had his daughters name picked out years ago before we even met. I would be upset if someone in the family named their daughter that. A name is really personal and sometimes it means something to the parent. Get something else.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't be offended, but I also picked out a name that hadn't been used in either family.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I don't know. Sometimes I can see their point in being upset. For example, my mom and her cousin were pregnant at the same time. Her cousin (they were pretty close at the time) knew she had had the name Kimberly Kay picked out for years. She delivered two months before my mom and named her daughter Kimberly Kay. My mom didn't want two Kimberlys in the same family, so I have a sister named Angie instead. I guess it's not "stealing," but it's not something I would purposefully do to someone I was close to.

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Depends on the situation.

If someone uses your first name for their child (especially if "you" are a guy) then, if you wanted a "junior", you will have relatives of similiar age with the same name. That gets confusing so many people end up not having that "junior" they wanted. This happend to my dad. His brother named his son - born one month before my mom was due - with my dad's name. So when my brother was born, my dad chose a different name.

Another "no-no" time would be a name that you have long stated you would use when you had kids. If other family members know you plan on using that name, it's just rude to use it instead. This happened to a friend of mine. She had a name for her daughter picked out years before she was ready to be a mom. Then one month after she happily told her family she was expecting a daughter, her cousin had a girl - and used that name. Rude.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2009