How long does it takes your kids to eat?

It takes my 9 yr old sometimes 45 min in the morning to eat 2 pieces of toast!! It takes him and my 4 yr old way over a half hour, most times close to an hour to eat dinner. At times I have gotten so frustrated that I just take away their plates and say they are done. Do your kids do this? I s this normal? How do you minimize it? Set a timer? It is really driving me crazy. I hate leaving them at the table by themselves to eat, but sitting there and waiting, I could be doing other things likes cleaning up the kitchen.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• We have a 12, 5 and 6 yr old, all boys, and they eat fast,lol Breakfast is a very small bowl of cereal because they aren't big eaters in the morning and then it's off to school... Supper time they are so hungry they eat pretty fast then too,lol I limit what goes on our 5 and 6 yr olds plate, they don't need much but they eat well, and our 12 yr old, well he eats like crazy and is skinny as a rail,lol I limit snacks, if they eat too much in between then they have no appetite for a full meal..
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I have two that take forever to eat. So the new rule is when your done you leave the table. The slower ones sometimes finish alone.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Forever!! My oldest son he's 12 take the longest. My daughters inhale everything. I think health wise it is better for them to take a little longer to eat, that way they don't over eat.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 10:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I tell mine to look at the clock and I say how much time she has to eat.This gives them something to go by,more than hearing the ticker.They also learn to tell time better and it's caused so much less frustration,I look forward to meal times.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 10:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I call it "watching the paint dry". Can you prepare some fun activity right after the meal? If motivated, my daughter eats quicker, but I really don't want to bribe with dessert all the time, you know. "Let's read your favorite book after you finish eating!"
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 12:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• some people just like to enjoy their food! unless... your children know you get annoyedby this, then maybe they are doing it just to annoy you, why not plan a fun activity after their meal, that way they will rush in eating their food to get to that activity...? o_O
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 1:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009