Too early!!!

My 2 yr old has been getting up earlier and earlier. He was getting up at 7-730. Than all of the sudden he decided to start getting up as early as 5. Usually after DH's alarm would go off at 530. Now that DH is gone, its still between 530 and 6 am. Even with the time change. That is way too early for me. At least to get woken up by a screeching "MOOOOMMMMMYYYY!!!" Any ideas on how to get him to sleep in? He already stays up til 8 pm and even if he doesn't get a nap he wakes up at the same time. I'd be happy with a 7 am wake up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This will prob make someone upset but here we go... My son is almost two and we had the HARDEST time with getting him to sleep past 5am UNTIL we started 2 things::
    1. We let him drink Pepsi about an hour before bedtime when he is already getting tired to give him that sugar rush and let him run crazy for an hour
    and then..
    2. Once he is in bed he is OBSESSED with the show My friends Tigger and Pooh and will force himself to stay awake for most of it.
    In the end he gets in bed at the normal time (which for us is 830-9) and then stays up watching tv about 30 minutes before falling asleep.

He now sleeps until 8:30 in the morning...
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• One of the biggest reasons a child gets up too early is because they are going to bed too late. I know it seems backward, but I would really try to start putting him down a little earlier. I would also really aim for a nap. If he doesn't get it then I would put him down extra early so he isn't getting overtired. Then I would make sure he has room darkening shades to keep his room extra dark even when it is getting light earlier.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 11:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• When our 2 or 3 yr old gets up before 7AM, we put them back in bed and tell them it's not time to get up yet. They have to stay in their beds until at least 7. They usually go back to sleep and don't get up until 7:30-8:30. You are the parent, it's OK to make decisions that your children don't agree with. He may get upset and cry at first, but that's OK after a while he will get the routine and you will have parented your child responsibly.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My rule is, you can come in mommys room and watch cartoons but don't mess with me till 8.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I did black out curtains, which helped some.
    Then I put a fish tank in her room and told her she could get out of bed (I'd come get her) at "fishy morning". I put the tank light on a timer and set it to the time she was waking up. After a few days, once she seemed to get it, I changed it to 15 mintues later. I kept doing that until I found the latest she would wait - I never did reach the time I wanted but 7:15 is MUCH better than 5:30!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• What i say is have him stay up later and put him to bed say 10:30! i'm sure he'll sleep in til bout 7. maybe he just is used to daddys alarm going off so he automatically wakes up at that time?!!? idk... i say try to keep him up as long as you can and i'm sure he'll sleep in earlier for you. let me know how that goes if you try it out :)
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 3:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• idk what mazonmom is talking about but when i put my son to bed later, he sleeps later. and when i put him to bed earlier he wakes up freakishly early!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 3:47 AM on Mar. 12, 2009