Do you understand why? I don't!

WHY do women who are pregnant STILL smoke? Nothing else pisses me off more then seeing women who are pregnant smoking away on their cigarettes! I mean if you can't even take care of your child to the best of your ability while they are inside you and its so much easier- how are you going to take care of them once they are born??
The most common side effects of smoking while pregnant are low birth weights, premature delivery, miscarriage and stillborn death. Premature babies and low birth weight babies have an increased risk for serious health problems. The baby can suffer from asthma, frequent ear infections and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
(CONT)

Mama2Mase

Asked by Mama2Mase at 10:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Birth defects that may be increased when the mother smokes include: cleft lip, cleft palate, clubfoot, limb defects and some types of heart defects. Babies whom mothers smoked while pregnant are three times more likely to die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) than with babies from nonsmoking mothers.
    Mama2Mase

Answer by Mama2Mase at 10:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• If it is not your child why are you worried about it. I would much rather see a woman smoke during pregnancy than murdering her unborn child
    Anonymous

• Oh, hold on.....here we go!
    Anonymous

• in my opinion - If you dont do it than why does it affect you what others do?....

Its their choice - My mom smoked with me and im fine - weighed 7lbs 7oz when born - born on time - no problems....

it doesnt justify it, but if its not you doing it, than dont let it affect you....
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Because its the same concept of sticking up for a child that is going to be killed. That baby doesn't have a choice to be in her stomach while shes smoking and be at risk for birth defects!!! Just like the baby doesn't have a choice to be murdered.
    Mama2Mase

Answer by Mama2Mase at 10:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• yeh but in another aspect is that you dont have a choice on what they do... so instead of getting heated about it - let it go.
    Your powerless & thats the bottom line.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I know I'm powerless but I saw two pregnant people smoking tonight at target it makes me mad. I can't help it.. it just breaks my heart for those children.
    Mama2Mase

Answer by Mama2Mase at 10:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Are so many of you really heartless enough to not care about a child just because its not yours???Seriously!! I care and I think its sad.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• There is an increased risk, but not a promise of defect. My mother smoked through both of her pregnancies (they didn't know how harmful it was back then) and my brother and I both turned out fine. It's not the wisest choice, I agree, but there's not a lot you can do. It's not as risky as drinking while pregnant and people do that too!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• its not about not caring mamachamp - But we wont change their mind & it wont make a difference if you walked up and said something.

So instead of worrying about something im powerless over & have no control over - i will pray for their baby & keep it movin ya kno?
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009