How can I keep my dd from getting RSV?

She's 4months old and has had a runny nose and a lil cough... Im so worried she's gonna get RSV.. Is there anything I can give her for her cold? The dr said 1/4 of a teaspoon of benadryl but didnt say how much a day? And I cant get ahold of her! Im so scared she's gonna get it..

Adams-Momma

Asked by Adams-Momma at 10:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What is RSV?
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It is a virus so the best thing you can do is good personal hygiene and keep her away from strangers. If she has already been exposed there is not much you can do at this point, continue to BF on demand if you are Bfing. No medication, cold medication or benadryl will stop her from getting the virus, it is only to keep her "comfortable" but doesn't stop the virus.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 12:03 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• This the tail end of RSV 'season' so chances are she just has a cold. My second daughter had it and I never heard of it before. The main thing to watch for if she stops eating and is constantly sleeping. When my daughter had it, she had a little bit of a runny nose and that was it, no cough. The big concern is dehydration. I believe there is now a test for RSV, talk to your dr. is she is unavailable, she should have someone on call for her.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009