If you have older children, teenagers, and younger children, toddlers, do you make the older ones help out with the little ones? Diaper changing, feeding, bathing?

If you have older children, teenagers, and younger children, toddlers, do you make the older ones help out with the little ones? Diaper changing, feeding, bathing? Do they just help out to be helpful? My older kids (my stepkids) help out a lot. They get home from school and can't wait to play with the babies, our 9 year old loves to feed her little sister and our 12 year old gives our 22 month old baths, they sing and play an d laugh the whole time. Our soon to be 16 year old trades us, one night of babysitting for us for one night out with her friends. They are not made to do any of it, they all just love to be with the babies. An acquaintance stoped by the house and saw my older two with the younger two, while I was making dinner and was in shock that I allow them to help, and that they feed the baby, and changed diapers... Don't most older siblings help? I am the oldest of 4, and I helped with everything...

Vanessannd

Asked by Vanessannd at 10:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• i only have one child but im the oldest of three and my best friend is the oldest of 7. we would go back and forth between houses and help out with all the little kids.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I was the oldest sibling...Im 22, I have a brother thats 17 and two sisters that are 10 and 6. I always helped my mom with all of them and the 6 year old was almost like my own kid when she was really little til I had one of my own.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My oldest is only 8 and my youngest is almost 3 but I expect the older kids to help out and always have. When my younger 3 were little (say 2, 3 and 4 years old) I expected the 4yo to help her 2yo sister get her shoes or coat on or whatever. It's just part of being a family. When the youngest came along they were 3 1/2, 4 1/2 and almost 6. They helped feed her, change her, played with her, watched her while I cooked dinner or took a shower, etc. The older she got the more they did. My 7yo is known to help her in the bath and helped potty train her. They help her clean her room, get her breakfast while they are getting their own, etc.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I have 3 younger siblings and it was expected of me to help out.
    I have 3 kids and my older son always helped out with things and still does.
    Now he mostly helps out with homework for 9 and 12 year old. He is also a taxi cab for 2 little ones sometimes. I think it's great for the older ones to help out.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:53 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I give my oldest a choice of doing a specific chore or watching the twins while I do the chore. She normally opts for watching the twins. She babysits for an hour each day during the week, but she gets paid for it. Other times she helps out because she wants to.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2009