Karo syrup?

The Children's Hospital sent me a newsletter and there was an article saying not to give a baby Karo syrup before a year old, but many people have recommended giving it to my four month old if he becomes constipated (although I haven't had to yet) So my question is...which is the advice to follow?

dze527

Asked by dze527 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 3 month old son's Dr, Told us not to give him Karo because it is way to much for him to handle. Instead My son Gets 2oz white grape juice, and 3oz water mixed, twice a day. and that helps him alot. he has a hard time and gets constipated often.so that is our healthy fix :) hope this helps
    Mlass

Answer by Mlass at 12:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I've heard that you shouldn't give Karo syrup as well. I'm not sure why, but I've stayed on the safe said and not given it.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Well iv givin it to my kids cause thats a very old remedy and my kids were fine but you need to go with what your gut feeling if you feel uneasy about it dont give it
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I'd go with the advice of the children's hospital over anyone. they send out info flyers like that when a lot of babies start getting sick from stuff like that. Baby's intestinal tract can't handle karo syrup (or honey) so it can actually cause diarrhea. that's not the effect you want. There are better remedies for constipation- fruit to be specific. at four months, your baby should be fine to have some pears or prunes. they both work well.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Don't. Use a probiotic instead if you have to give something to help baby poop/stay regular.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• No Karo.The company itself says NOT to give it to babies as it's a botulism risk.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Never heard of giving Karo syrup to an infant. I cringe at the thought of how much sugar the baby would get. I just give about 2 oz of juice when needed and he has to be really constipated. Some babies can go days without poohing, depending on if they are breastfed or formula and that is normal.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i gave it 2x only as a remedy for constipation and realized thjat it DIDNT work, my dd used to get const. alot when she was like 3mos..but diluted prune juice works the BEST, if i had anothjer baby again i wouldnt use it..
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• They tell you not to because Karo syrup can cause batchalism, But if handled correctly can work wonders. I gave it to my son and his surgen ever recommend it. I worked great. The only rule I used when I used it was only keep it a month, even if it's not gone throw it away and get a new bottle. I only had to give it to him for 2 months or so and now that he is eating babyfood he has no problems. After those days I never knew how happy I would or could be to change a poopy diaper. lol
    Anonymous