How can I help my 2 year old with her nightmares/terrors?

She remembers her nightmares and talked about it all day. I don't know if that has made it worse or helped her. This is new territory for me. She said there was a baby boy in her room that was big and he was by her toy shelf. According to her, he didn't talk, just looked at her...How do I help her?

TatersMom2006

Asked by TatersMom2006 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was told by someone to use a spray bottle full of water with a lil glitter and tell the kid its monster spray that would kill the monster.

My son had the same problem but he said "it was gonna get him and it bit him" we finally figured out it was Spongebob's face on his sheets that bothered him. He didn't mind them during the day but freaked about it at night. We took the sheet off and now he's fine.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Monster spray and/or a "tough" stuffed animal who chases away and bites bad things both work.

Also making sure she doesn't get overtired, going to bed early on extra stimulating days, and not eating too close to bedtime can all help.

If it's a night terror, she won't notice that you come in the room and probably won't remember the dream. If it's a nightmare, she'll turn to you for comfort as soon as you enter the room and may remember the dream.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2009