Baby Blues? Sorry it is long.

Sometimes during the day I find myself crying and have to hold back tears because I don't want hubby to think there is something wrong. There is nothing wrong. I just feel like crying. Like today I went to change my six day old's diaper and he ended up peeing all over his face and I couldn't catch it in time and I just felt this overwhelming feeling to cry. Not because there was a big mess but because I couldn't protect him better. That was when I left the house to go to walmart and ended up balling the whole way there and screaming and just completely upset for no reason. I ended up going to walmart looking like a crack addict. My husband says I've been acting differently and always asks me what is wrong. But that is the thing. Nothing IS wrong. I just feel like crying? Is this normal?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I feel your pain, I would talk to your doctor as soon as possible. You may not just have the baby blues you may have postpardum depression which is very serious and needs to be treated. I would cry at nothing have panic attacks and just wasn't functioning well in the home and I'm thinking what could possibly be wrong I have nothing to be upset about. My doctor put me on cymbalta and trazadone and it saved my life. I am in no way saying that you need to be medicated because thats not always the answer. Do try to get enough rest , exercise and eat right. I hope you feel better I really do. I've been there.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• totally normal. it gets better. ...good for you leaving the house/ being online with a 6 day old !
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It is not like I left him alone. Daddy was with him. It is not like I don't trust my husband's parenting as much as mine.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 11:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• what your feeling is perfectly normal and it will get better as days pass....i can promise u this sometimes u feel like u didn't protect them enough but your doing all u can accidents happen..and sometimes the best thing is to just get out for an hour or so to get away from it all
    Litlegourd

Answer by Litlegourd at 11:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• so normal. In fact in the early days w/ baby #3 I think I had a crying time every night around 6. Eventully I evened out and I have been feeling pretty good since week 4
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• judging by your response to the first poster, i'd say you are a bit testy. are you getting enough sleep? i know that is hard with a new baby, but make sure you rest as much as you can. are you keeping hydrated? having time alone? i really don't think it is normal to just feel like crying or screaming for no reason. i would definitely check with your doctor. if your husband thinks something is wrong it probably is. Men don't usually pick up on stuff like that too easily. sounds like postpartum depression to me. you don't have to go on medication by the way. you could just talk to someone about how you're feeling or join a new mom's group.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• look, having a baby is a very overwhelming experience! Especially if it's your first one. It is completely normal to go through this, and don't worry, lots of us have been where you are. Protecting baby from urine.. I have been down that road, and it'll get better, wait til he pees on you, and all you can do is laugh about it! Hang in there Mommy.. you're doing fine!! You are adjusting and your hormones are STILL out of whack. Getting out of the house from time to time helps, so don't worry, your lil boy is fine, and soon this will be a memory.
    cincodemayomom

Answer by cincodemayomom at 1:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2009