Extended rear facing.

I plan to do extended rear facing with my now 8 month old but i have a few questions. A) what are some good websites to gather information on it in general B) are all "big girl" carseats rear facing like not the infant carriers the next step ones C) if mine is rear facing will it say in the directions in it? and finally d) if it is rear facing and she is 20 lbs (which i know she is close) can i transfer her to that car seat at 20lbs even if its before a year (remember it WILL be rear facing) thanks in advance for your help ladies!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your little one outgrows her infant seat before she is a year & 20 pounds OR before you are willing to switch her to forward facing, you'll need to buy a convertible seat. Not all "big girl" seats are convertibles, some are forward facing only. It will say right on the box if it can go rear facing since that is a major sellling point. And yes, you can put her in a "big girl" seat that is rear facing at anytime, even at birth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with the other poster. A good place to go to gather information is the Carseat Safety group on cafemom or carseat.org. A good convertible seat will rearface from 5 lbs to 35 lbs so whenever you're ready to switch her over you can.
    LukesMommy912

Answer by LukesMommy912 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree that a convertible car seat is the way to go, I have one and I love it, and mine will go rear-facing up to 35lbs, and front facing up to 100lbs :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with Kaycee. When you do buy the next carseat take into consideration how long you want her to be in it. Most seats are outgrown by height long before they are outgrown by weight. Look for one with a taller shell.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• As stated, convertible carseats can be rear-facing, forward facing and some will convert to boosters (3-in-1)

They all have weight and height limits. Some of the infant carriers go by the "one inch of shell" rule, but the convertible carseats do not. (I had a carrier that the manufacturer said they would not go by the "one inch rule" should something happen..check with your manufacturer) And the manual will have directions for rear-facing installation if it can be installed that way.

You can put babies in "most" rear facing carseats at 5lbs. We had our oldest two in them at 4 months, the youngest at birth (and he was a 36 weeker).
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:31 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I'd like to recommend the True Fit seat, if finances allow. It runs about $180, but it RF to 35 lbs, and FF to 65. You can even begin using it now if you wanted.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:53 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• well i already got one for my shower its in my cellar right now i have to check it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Not all harnessing seats do RF. Some, like the Evenflo Chase, are forward facing only seats, and then they convert to a belt positioning booster. Those are called Combination Seats. A seat that rear and forward faces is called a Convertible seat. If your seat does RF, it will have a RF weight limit on the side of the car seat, and also have instructions in the manual on how to use and install it RF.

You can put a bay RF in a convertible as soon as they fit. For RF, the shoulders must be at or above the harness slots. Some seats, like the Britax convertibles, have high bottom harness slots that generally don't fit babies till around 14lbs. But it all depends on the babies torso height. By 8 months and 20lbs, she should be able to fit in just about any convertible seat.

We switched to a RF convertible seat at around 6 months, because my DD hated her infant seat.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 9:02 AM on Mar. 20, 2009