refusal!!!!!

my daughter has recently started refusing the bottle with formula in it. she will fuss and fight if i try to make her drink it. she used to be a good eater/drinker, but now all she will eat is baby food and drink juice or pedialyte. she is almost 9 months and i'm not sure if this is normal. i don't know what to do because i know she needs the formula. has anyone ever had this happen? if so, what did you do? add something to the formula for taste? also, she won't take a sippy cup and during the time when me and hubby tried to start her on the sippy is the time she stopped taking her formula... i am just running out of things to try and dear ole pedi isn't being very helpful..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is refusing the formula because you are giving her juice and pedialyte. So, simple solution is, stop giving it to her. Even when she is refusing the formula, and even if she goes for one day without drinking more than a bottle or so. So long as she drinks her morning bottle (I don't know if she has one...Kaylee drinks 8 ounces first thing in the morning before anything else at like, 6am) and totals another 12 ounces throughout the day she won't be in danger of dehydration. If you want her back on formula, do not give her anymore juices. She does not need them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• i would try what carolyn says. my daughter wouldnt even take juice when i tried to give her a little. and even if they do have it, they arent suppose to have a lot. i know that my ss and sd's doctor says that a 7 yr. old shouldnt drink more than 4 - 6 oz. of juice a day. lol. so i am sure a baby would be A LOT less. when i practice a sippy cup or a regular cup with my daughter i use water. she loves it. lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with the previous answer she doesn't need juice. I would say decide on whether or not you want to switch off the bottle. My daughter immediately quit the bottle as soon as she had a sippy, so for now she may just want juice but if you stick with it, she will drink the formula...that or start with water if she still won't take the formula...just cut out juice, she will forget it soon...(those days won't last i am sad to say)...but good luck
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 11:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Give her the solids after her bottle, that way she isn't filling up on solids. She gets most of her nutrition through the bottle, so cut anything like juice, pedialyte, and maybe even water until she gets back into the swing of things. She doesn't need additional fluid so long as she is getting her bottles. Give bottles, and solids, nothing else. Four wet diapers is generally indicative of good hydration. So long as you are there, you should be fine. She will eat if she is hungry and she doesn't have a sweeter alternative. My daughter is 13 months and she doesn't get juice. My 7 year old rarely gets juice. It isn't really necessary in any diet. In about 3 months you can give her milk and table foods, so you won't need the formula anymore. It will be ok!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• she only has 2 ounces of diluted apple juice as a snack, but we can cut it out. i'm worried that isn't going to fix the "i'm not drinking formula from a bottle" though

if it was the sippy that threw her off, what can i do to get her back on bottle, or alteast siipy
    '
    Anonymous

• Only give her one or the other. Don't switch between the two as it will confuse her. I would either just give her the bottle and nothing else or the sippy and nothing else. You can give formula through a sippy, just make sure you take the leak stopper out when you wash it so it gets really clean. Not a problem. I am almost positive that if you give her that first when she is hungry before anything else, she will take back to it. Just be persistent, and don't cave with juices or solids before she has had enough formula. Solids are really more for practice than nutrition now, so they aren't as important. Good luck
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I am curious as to why so many people give their babies juice? it is completely unnecessary. anyway, stop the juice and pedialyte (why is she on pedialyte? does she have diarrhea and vomiting? if not, she shouldn't be using it. it is not meant to be a beverage) we went through this with my son- the formula refusal that is. is she a good weight? if so, i would suggest waiting her out for an extra hour or two. she won't starve and then she'll be hungry enough for the bottle. that is what our son's nutritionist recommended to us and it worked great. also, good luck. (and i didn't mean to be rude or anything, just passing on what i know from having many issues with my son)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• well, i didnt even think about whether my daughter needed juice or not, but the doctor said that i could start her on it at 6 months so i figured it was rather standard. So, I just tried it. She didn't take to it, so I haven't pushed it.

And I was wondering about the pedialyte thing, too. I thought it was only for diarrhea and vomitting. Thanks for the confirmation anon 1211.

but anyway, i already answered above that I definately agree with everyone else. stop with the sippy cup, juice, and pedialyte. try the giving her the bottle before she eats the solids. babies will eat when they are hungry. if she continues to refuse to eat it and you dont think she is getting enough nutrition, definately contact your doctor.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2009