Are there any risks to 3D OR 4D Ultrasounds?

I am at 27 weeks, and am anxious about seeing the baby. The nurse at my obgyn says I don't need to get any extra ultrasounds, because their regular 2D ultrasounds ( which are done 1 for every timester) are sufficient. I am having a healthy pregnancy, and would like to get some special 3D pics for our album.

cantoraclaudia

Asked by cantoraclaudia at 12:07 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no there are no risks with any type of ultrasound that i know of. it is such an amazing thing to get a 3d/4d ultrasound. to be able to see your baby's face before you meet them is incredible!
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 12:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i would think no i had to have one done for medical and it was amazing i have a few of the pics on my profile they are 4d it shows all
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 12:49 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• This was posted in one of my groups: http://www.askquestions.org/articles/ultrasound/ultrasound.pdf
    It basically says that 3D/4D ultrasounds that are done at your doctor's office should be safe, but ones done outside of the doctor's office (like at keepsake photo places) may not be and are not approved by the FDA.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 1:07 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• There are risks with ANY ultrasounds, and unnecessary u/s pose unnecessary risks. We can't say for sure just what the damage is but u/s change the molecular structure inutero by heating up molecules.

It just isn't worth it if you don't NEED the u/s. Technology is great, when used for good, but we over use it. It's no surprise our children aren't as healthy as other countries where we don't misuse technology...

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/ultrasound-risks.html
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:54 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I agree with celticreverie. Unless an ultrasound is NECESSARY, it don't seem wise to have one.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:07 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• they are safe. i had mine done twice. at the place i went i had to bring in my 2d ultrasound and they made sure i was recieving proper prenatal care from a dr and they do send over a fax. it was totally worth it. i would probably wait until after 30weeks to get the best view. but other then that its fine. its amazing to see the baby so clear. its a little pricey though so it really depends on ur budget. i wouldn;t change the fact i did it in a heart beat. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 13, 2009