MRSA?

An E.R doctor just told me today that my 13 month old daughter has MRSA, does anyone know much about it?
i know the jist about it, uncurable, everything has to be super clean in my home, does anyone know anything else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Health

• MRSA is curable, it is simply very difficult to cure. It is an anti-biotic resistant strain of Staph. The people in the hospital (I work in one) get put on Vancomycin, an extremely potent antibiotic. Sadly, they are beginning to see strands of MRSA that are becoming resistant to that as well.

Do not come into contact with the infection other than to clean it, and wash your hands thoroughly when you are done. It is extremely contagious. When washing your hands, be sure that you are getting under your nails as well, and for the time being it may be best (if you don't already) to keep your nails short.
    Without being treated, it can become life threatening if it enters the bloodstream, so it is a good thing you took her in to be checked out.

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:42 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Sorry, i just got done writing a paper and can't get the words out to say everything I want to, lol, I am very tired. If you don't get the answers here that you are looking for, you can message me and when I can think strait I will tell you more.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It is NOT uncurable. It's just really hard to kill. Yes, start by super cleaning everything. Everyone in the home should be tested too - including pets. It can be passed back and forth between all of you. Make sure she takes all of her antibiotics, exactly as prescribed, for as long as prescribed.

Here's some good info.http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/methicillin-resistant-staphylococcus-aureus-mrsa-overview

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Like they said, it's curable, but it's one of those things that once you've had it, it's more likely to happen again. My mother had it constantly the last few years of her life because she was in and out of the hospital so much. If she didn't have it going in, she'd have it coming out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:42 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I had it last year and was put on antibiotics (oral and ointment) follow the directions on the meds and take them all. I was told to keep it covered at all times, since it was on my foot the dr said to bleach my socks & slippers, not to let anyone wear them, and to wash the bathroom rugs and sheets more often while I had it. He also told me to bleach out my shower so I didn't pass it along. They aren't sure why I got it.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:47 AM on Mar. 12, 2009