Child Abuse from a Teacher?

OK. My 10 yr old son has a cell phone. Big Deal. His cell phone ranged in class. His teacher asked him for his cell phone. My son and teacher are going back and forth behind this phone of his. Long story short, he grabs my son by the ankles, and shakes him so his phone can fall out. Well, as the phone fell, so did his wallet. His teacher throws my sons wallet at the back of his head. My son runs to the office, crying, the teacher snatches him by the arm and asks the ladies in the office "are students allowed cell phones?", they say no, then the teacher snatches my son out the office. The vice principal asks his teacher, why is he crying like that? the teacher tells the vice principal that my son is "following directions". I understand that kids are not supposed to have cell phones. I'm sorry, but im a single parent that HAS to work. He comes home by himself until i get home from work. WHAT SHOULD I DO AT THIS POINT?

slymnsexsi30

Asked by slymnsexsi30 at 1:03 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• report the teacher.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Contact the principal immediately in the morning and don't forget to mention that people in the office witnessed your son crying. Also I would get some kids who witnessed the ankle thing too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i understand that my son is not supposed to bring a phone to school, but i work. there is no dad in my household. my son has to walk home from school and come home by himself until i get there. he's only at home by himself for about 2 hours, but he's 10 years old, not 10 months. my son is in the 5th grade. i understand that he should of just gave him the phone. i wish he just did that. i'm not trying to make this thing a big deal, but grabbing him by the ankles, and dangling him in mid air is insane. i need a lawyer.
    slymnsexsi30

Answer by slymnsexsi30 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• take your son to school (yeah I know you have to work, but you will have to go in late). Let him tell his side to the principal and demand that he be put in another class immediately. As for your sons punishment (yes HIS). He should have given up the phone when told (that's respecting authority), but shouldnot have had it at school in the first place. He loses the phone for a month.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 1:08 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• the police were notified and 3 kids from his class, along with my son, told their side of the story. at first, the police was going to treat this thing as a injury assault, meaning the best thing that could happen is that teacher removed from the classroom, but since the kids told what happened, the ploice turned this into a battery assault charge against the teacher. i have yet to hear from the d.a. because their pursiung this issue as well
    slymnsexsi30

Answer by slymnsexsi30 at 1:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Sure your son isn't allowed cell phones at school BUT that's NOT the issue here. The issue is your son was mistreated by a school official and that person NEEDS to be reported!
    If something like that would of happened to my 10 year old, I'd call the cops. Something would be done about this teacher. I wouldn't stop until he lost his job!
    There are ways to deal with kids and cell phones and what this teacher did is NOT the way to handle it.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i dealt with my son for disrespecting authority. it doesn't matter what the situation, that teacher is an adult, and therefore, you must respect his position. i agree 100%. my son was wrong in this situation, yes, but the teacher actions of grabbing my son like that is wrong.
    slymnsexsi30

Answer by slymnsexsi30 at 1:12 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i need a lawyer that takes on cases like this. if any mommies out there know of anyone, PLEASE CONTACT ME, SERIOUSLY. my email is dngoodine@hotmail.com. This is a very important situation that has to be dealt with. We are California residents. I have never heard of this type of behavior at a elementary school.
    slymnsexsi30

Answer by slymnsexsi30 at 1:15 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yes, by all means, get a lawyer. Don't deal with the fact that your child is being disrespectful and that teacher was probably pushed to his limit. Did he respond properly, no. But neither did your son. There would not have been a problem if he had followed the rules in the first place. BY ALL MEANS, SUE everyone you can think of to sue. In the meantime, you are sending your son the message that he can be defiant to authority figures and that you will defend him.  Just remember, it won't be long until YOU are the authority figure that he feels he can defy!

By the way, why did you re-post this, you didn't like the answers you got before? Why, because no one was crying over your son being abused!? People are getting sick of permissive parents who want to defend the actions of their disrespectful kids!

P.S.  Ten IS too young to be home by himself for two hours!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i re-posted the question because i accidentally closed the question out. I'm not looking for sympathy for my son, I'm the first to say that my son was wrong, and NO, i'm not teaching him to be defiant to ANY adult. I was not raised like that, and i don't teach my son to disrespect ANY adult. And, NO, I'm not one of those parents that think that their child can do no wrong. That's not me either. My son knows better not to defy me.
    slymnsexsi30

Answer by slymnsexsi30 at 1:21 AM on Mar. 12, 2009