Why is cosleeping wrong?

I read that in an earlier post. I can understand it not working for you personally, but why do some believe it is bad?
FYI I have coslept with both DS. My 4 year old still comes to bed with us in the night sometimes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• LOL. I love the arguments that hubby's and kids fight for attention. That is so lame! My daughter co slept for 19-20 months. My relationship with hubby was great, my daughter is independent. If you have a child completely co-dependent on you, such as the first anon on this page of replies, it's a parenting issue that can NOT be blamed solely on co-sleeping. there is plenty more to it than that.

More babies DON'T sleep in cribs. In the US yes, around the world, NO. Crib sleeping is not safer, it's a ploy by crib manufacturers. Studies are rarely done on co sleeping and the few instances you hear of deaths were the fault of parents who didn't follow the *rules* so to speak. Co sleeping has been around for thousands of years, it wasn't until society started to view children as a burden that co-sleeping went out the window. Society changed the way it viewed children. It's sad.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:10 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It's NOT. Babies are designed for it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I don't think it's wrong. All 3 of my boys have slept with me and my husband.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• B/c some babies have died from parents accidently smothering them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• can you provide a website or a link or book providing that information, anon? As well as what the statistics are on how often that happens?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have no problem with it. Some people are afraid of rolling on their baby or whatever. If that's how you feel than please don't sleep with your child. I slept with all 3 of my babies. They are 4,3 and almost a year. There has been no safety issue and they still come to the bed with us. The older one's will wake some night's and just tuck into our bed, we don't mind this. If the baby wakes during the night she comes too, I need my sleep, I have 3 kids to take care of!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Actually, the incidents where parents smothered children occurred when parents had taken sleeping pills, drank alcohol, etc.

I co-slept with my daughter until she was 14 month, but I was a single mom. Now that I'm married, when we have another one, we're going to get the arm's reach co-sleeper, because he's not comfortable with co-sleeping.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:20 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It is not wrong. :) I coslept with three kids. Now, occasionally just a cat, dog and my daughter.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I don't think it's wrong at all. I just think that people have different long term goals for their children. I sleep with my babies until they are able to sleep through the night without waking up.

I would love to sleep with my daughter. I love my daughter. I love being around her and I miss her when I wake up every morning, but I personally don't feel that it is alignment with my long term goals for her.

Otherwise, I would totally co-sleep.

daniella_mae

Answer by daniella_mae at 1:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Just curious, but what are your long term goals that don't work with co sleeping?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2009