surgery and bfing.

i have a 4 week old dd and i was just in the hospital for a week for surgery...i was pumping in there but sometimes i went all night without doing so and waited til morning. ive been very sick and sometimes i go over 3 or 4 hours without pumping. is this bad? i reall want to comtinue bf when i get better and get all the meds out of my system. will my supply increase when she starts to nurse again? i hate giving her formula. in the hospital i pumped about 6 ounces in 6 to 9 hour incremints and at home its about 3 ounces every 4 to 6 hours or so.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're home from the hopsital and coherent enough to be online, go nurse!

Docs often mislead moms about nursing and surgery. You're safe to nurse as soon as you can handle the baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• its not that...im still taking meds that cant be in her system. its strong stuff. otherwise i would trust me...i hate pumping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yes your supply will increase when your daughter starts nursing again. Just nurse on demand as long as she wants. If you are worried about not producing enough their is an herbal pill you can take called Fenugreek. It can be found at a health food store. Just be sure to ask your Dr if it is safe to take with any medications you may still be taking. Good Luck!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 1:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• thank you so much. i was really worried.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Hi! I bf'd for all three of my kids and have learned that you need to do what's right for you. I have also learned that milk production is a supply, demand kind of thing. If you stop for a while without pumping, your milk production will decrease . For me, that meant a hungry baby and a sore breast, too. But after a while, the body will boost up it's supply to meet the baby's demand.
    I recommend asking your doctor how long before everythings out of your system and you are comfortable with it. For me it was a great bonding experience, and convenient, too. But, I've known many wonderful mothers who needed to take a pass. and that's good too.
    SportMama

Answer by SportMama at 1:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I had to have my gallbladder removed when my first was very young. So I can somewhat understand how hard it is for you!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 1:21 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• its even worse bc i came home and was non stop throwing up all night. the surgeon said i took a step back..which meant even more meds and another trip to the hospital. i can start bfing again about 2 days after taking my last dose of meds.. i just really hate pumping and i know im not doing it as much as i should.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Just to be sure...look up your meds on the Lact-Med database. Google "lact-med." You may need to know the scientific name for the med...brand names sometimes aren't in the system. But it's the BEST resource. better than doctors or pharmacists, really.

If you really DO have to stop...no artificial nipples in order to avoid preference. It's 99.9 percent likely you'll have no issues at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Oh. And in answer to your question...every two hours with a GOOD double electric.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• yeah i seemed to get alot more at the hospital with their pump. i have the same brand but i guess its not hospital grade.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Mar. 12, 2009