How do you feel about swim lessons for the under 3 set?

I have an 18 month old boy. I live in Florida in a house with a pool. I did not find swim lessons to be helpful for my daughter. Hubby still thinks swim lessons would be good for our son, I told him it is mostly what we are doing with him like putting his face in the water and splashing. He asked me to ask you ladies your opinions on swim lessons for toddlers.

nycte

Asked by nycte at 1:37 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that you can work on the same things at home for the toddler part. My daughter just did a mommy and me class, we worked on putting their face in the water, blowing bubbles, kicking, floating on their back and tummy, holding onto the edge and "spiderman crawling" along the wall, they put toys under the water on the steps and had them try going under and getting them. I'm sure you can work on all that at home since you have your own pool. I would probably but him in the preschool class when he's older though.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think it's great! the sooner you get those kids comfortable around the water and teach them to put safety first (which is what most swim lessons start off teaching) the better!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:41 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think it's the exposure that helps them become comfortable in the water. If you have a pool, I'm sure you can teach him just as much. We had a pool growing up, and although we took lessons, I think we learned just as much at home. But my parents made sure we always wore life jackets until we were able to swim two lengths of the pool without stopping.
    Evies_Momma

Answer by Evies_Momma at 1:49 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think it is soooooooooo inportant! i like ISR...survival rather than swim lessons.... baby's tot's need to be able to survive a near drowning, if they fall in an unsupervised pool..every summer here in fl we hear of way too many tradgetys that could have been avoided.
    IFLY39

Answer by IFLY39 at 6:45 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Avery is 14 months and I have him in swim lessons. They said it really doesn't help then to swim this early. We're just getting them used to the water and the commands they'll use for later awim classes. They have us count to 3 before we do anything and she said eventually they wont enter the pool or do anything else until we say they can.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 7:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My son is only 9 months right now, but when he gets a little older I plan on having him take ISR lessons (like IFLY39 said) because I know that my son LOVES the water and I want him to be prepared if (god forbid) he were to ever fall into water unsupervised. I knew this family that one day the mother got a phone call telling her that her father had passed away and she looked away from her 22 month old daughter for a minute and she took off. When the mother got off the phone and realized the daughter was missing, she and some neighbors went looking for her. They wound up finding her about 30 mins later in the pool and because she was in ISR classes, she was able to keep herself afloat for however long she was in there.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 7:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• it's a great idea! i put my dd in classes @ the y when she was 4 she swims like a fish now shes 8 ~ go for it1
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have a 2 1/2 yo, also living in FL w/ a pool and will be getting him lessons this year. Dada was going to teach him to swim but still hasn't done it and now I don't care! My 2 1/2 and 9 mo old will be starting lessons soon bc I am more worried about their ability to handle the water and at least float until someone can get to them than if Dada is happy with my decision. One of my GF's used to teach swimming and will be doing lessons for us. I'm also considering the Y.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 9:01 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I was a Water Safety Instructor for years, and we didn't give swimming lessons until kids were 3 for the simple reason that teaching a child younger than that in a group setting is not effective.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:03 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think swim lessons are great. What I have a problem with is people who put their infants/toddlers in swim lessons so that they have an excuse to not watch them as closely outside..... Don't expect it to actually teach them to swim and how to save themselves -- saving them is YOUR responsibility. JMO :)
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2009