Swimming?

When is it ok to take a baby in the pool? I know that they love water but I'm worried about the chlorine and chemicals on his newborn skin. He will be two months when we go on holiday and it would be nice to take him in the pool with us. Any thoughts?

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 1:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I read somewhere not until 6 months. They said that before that they are more likely to get ear and respritory infections.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 7:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I would wait, or look into a hotel that has a salt water pool.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• The general guideline is 6 mo. but I took my daughter into our pool at about 4.5 mo. and she did fine. However, she didn't really have the back strength to situp on her own yet, so she couldn't go in the pool float so I had to hang on to her the whole time. Her skin was fine (chlorine) but you should keep pool time to a minimum if you're outdoors. It really doesn't take long for a baby's skin to burn. Some sources will tell you no sunscreen before 6 mo. and others will tell you that if you're baby is going to be in the sun, its better that they wear sunscreen. I suggest you test a small patch of baby's skin before you go on your trip.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Our son was 6 weeks the first time he went into the pool. It was outdoors, so he had his leakproof swim shorts (very hard to find for the age), a long sleeved onsie and a hat on. We got in and out of the pool every ten minutes or so. I kept his head above water the who time and watch who was around us to make sure they didn't splash. He did just fine. The main concern is that you are not suppose to use sunblock on a baby until 6 months, which is why I covered up his skin. He loved being in the pool, but oddly enough hated baths until he was sitting up.

Also, keep in mind that a suns rays can penetrate the surface of the water by about 2 to 3 feet. So your skin can still get burned even if its underwater.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009