I work outside of the home and still breastfeed my one year old daughter. I provide expressed milk in a bottle for her and today I noticed they had written on her daily sheet an extra breast milk bottle...there was also an empty bottle in her bag that did not belong to her! I didn't notice it until I got home and the center was closed. Clearly she was fed another woman's expressed breast milk. What should I do? I'm panicked!

Day Care Dilemma

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just ask them tomorrow, they may have just put it in the wrong bag. If they somehow fed her one bottle of formula, it won't kill her.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I am very confused by this question. You provided an expressed milk bottle and there was a different empty bottle in her bag but they put down she ate breastmilk? So, they put the wrong bottle in your bag by accident maybe? I doubt they'd drink your breastmilk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Call her daycare first thing in the morning, find out if she was given another mother's breastmilk. If she was, call your pediatrician ASAP. There are disease and drugs that can be passed through breastmilk, your ped. may want to do blood tests and such. I hope it was just formula or a mistake and the wrong bottle went home with her but she got your breastmilk. Good luck, I'm sorry this happened!
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 2:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I don't think medically you can do anything now, just discuss with the doctor about testing for possible illnesses. Do follow up with the daycare.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Also, I'd think moms who care enough to pump BM wouldn't do drugs or have funky diseases, so your DD should be fine. I'd be livid with the daycare center though, that's a major violation and they should be reported to the state licensing board.
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 2:02 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• But there was a couple of new infants that started today, and I noticed that they were feeding one of them from a Medela bottle, a breast pump brand, which ironically is the same brand I use. I forgot to mention the bottle (that was not my daughters) had her name on it. They printed her name on it and wrote on her sheet that they fed her BM at 4:20 pm. My gut is ill.
    ilovemybabyg286

Answer by ilovemybabyg286 at 2:02 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I for one would be much more livid if it was formula, not someone else's breast milk.

Secondly, you can make all the assumptions as to what happened but wont know anything until the AM. So bring the bottle, and go up there and bring up the issue. Ask them what could have happened, and then HOW it happened.

Then if you are really concerned you can force your child to endure all kinds of testing..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Oh, I was confused by how your question was originally worded. I would just ask them tomorrow, and hopefully they just wrote it wrong and put it in the wrong bag. I agree about calling the pedi if she did get someone else's breast milk. Good luck with it.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You need to label your own bottles before taking them to daycare. Medela doesn't mean it's a pumped bottle. I used breastflow bottles forever b/c they were leftover after I got done breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I'm new to this and figure this is the only way I can reply to your responses, which I appreciate tremendously. They wrote my DD name on the bottle that did not belong to her. I'm sorry if I'm being unclear.
    ilovemybabyg286

Answer by ilovemybabyg286 at 2:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2009