my son can't sleep! HELP!

a few days ago my son's schedule got all screwed up, his nap time was wayy later which resulted in putting him to bed later. i fixed this by not giving him a nap one day so he could go to bed earlier that night. that didn't fix anything! he still went to bed late. and tonight he didnt fall asleep until 11!! (and he even took an earlier nap today) so my question is what in the world should i do!?? and how long is your child awake between nap time and bed time?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 1:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be teething or growing pains, thats true u may just need to try tylenol/motrin. Also if you have a local vitamin world they have sublingual melatonin, its black cherry flavor, liquid. We have to give it to my son daily to get him to sleep. Your body naturally has melatonin, just some peoples levels are lower than they should be, tv can deplete it, computer, lack of light or too much of certain lighting or sometimes just getting off a schedule. We started with 1ml or cc, same thing, and go from there. Our neurologist/behavioral ped just put him on 3ml at 5pm then 3ml at 9pm to help him sleep all night but I dont think you need to go that severe a route. Start with 1 or 2ml and see what happens, he should be sleepy within an hour so give it to him an hour before u want him to go to bed.
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 8:02 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My son has done this before. When my son did this it was growing pains or teething pains. I just gave him some Motrin and he went to bed and was back to normal after a few days. Check his mouth to see if there are teeth coming in. If not then try massaging his body to relax his muscles. If this doesnt help then try a routine with him if you dont already. We do bath,rock him while listening to music.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 3:44 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Kaitlynn usually takes a nap around 3p and we wake her up around 5p and she usually goes to bed between 8:30p and 9p. We are sorta having the same trouble except we are trying to take away a bedtime cup and she won't go without it. My suggestion would be to wake him up earlier in the day. If my daughter sleep past around 8am she will be up all night and will only take 1 nap. I usually try to make sure she is up by 8am so she will go to bed at a reasonable time.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 7:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2009