Do you honestly believe they don't know?

All these arguments about teen pregnancy and abstinence vs sex ed. Think about every teen mother you've known. How many of them do you honestly believe did not know how a baby was made or how to prevent it? I can flip through my yearbook, and every girl that had a baby or was pregnant when we graduated, I can remember them at some point being in the same sex ed class I was - we had them in 5th, 7th, 9th and 10th, plus whatever was covered in biology and adult living.

Even without those classes, I'd figured most of it out before it was explained in detail between Afterschool Specials and All My Children. By the time we had the last go round in 10th grade, we could've TAUGHT the class, and still, we had 10 girls in a class of 300 at graduation who were preg or had a kid already - one got pregnant in 8th grade. They knew exactly how it happened - they didn't care. How do you teach that?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:02 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course we knew (I was a teen mother). The problem is most girls don't know about their fertility. I had know clue about ovulation and timing and such. I knew about condoms and STDs. But I don't think girls are taught how their bodies function. Yeah yeah we get a period and this is what happens when the egg drops. But that's not all of it. Girls should be taught a little longer than boys in my opinion and I believe it should be done separatly. This way the girls don't feel awkward when asking a question that might be personal.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 2:10 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• First off. Sex Ed classes in school are a big JOKE. They didnt teach me shit. Too many kids in the class laughing at the word boobies and too many guys making penis jokes. Not to mention that often times they only explained the science of sex and a little bit about how hard and expensive it is to care for a baby. But i dont ever remember learning anything about how it changed a womans body. Or how painful it is to give birth. And at our school they gave us these dumb baby dolls called "The Baby Think It Over". ...omg. stupidest thing they could've ever done. You dont have to change it, or feed it, or put it to sleep or anything. If it cries you just stick a key in it's back until it "coos". Yea, it woke most ppl up maybe 2 or 3 times a night. ...but it's not like you had to stay up to figure out if the baby was hungry or had a dirty diaper. Of course i and all the other kids knew where babies come from and how to prevent it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:08 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Parents don't want to accept their responsibility in their teen ending up pregnant, they feel it's easier to blame it on the school system. I believe instilling morals and responsibility in your "teens" starts in childhood.

Am I totally missing what your question is?

BTW-not bashing teen moms that step up and raise their children the best they can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• LadyChamp-good, honest answer but they taught you about condoms and birth control right? Why not use those?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• But it's hard to teach the reality of raising a child! Also, other then the stupid doll i dont EVER remember getting any homework or being told to ask my mom questions or ANYTHING. i believe Sex Ed would be more effective if it were taught by parents and college students then teachers. And if they got better baby dolls that actually crap their diapers and run fevers and you also had to calcualte how much formula would cost and diapers and time and car seats and all of it. ...Sex Ed is a joke. Look at the sex education in other countries (especially Europe) and look at their teenage pregnancy rate. .....it's MUCH lower.
    okay. ...that's my rant.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• lmao, who said I didn't use condoms and birth control. Umm accidents happen ok?
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 2:12 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Am I totally missing what your question is?

It's just what I wrote - do people really believe kids get pregnant due to insufficient sex ed instead of not giving a damn when they're horny and don't have protection even though they know better.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Could you elaborate on the Sex Ed classes in Europe? What do they do different. Maybe we should incorporate their ideas.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 2:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• LadyChamp-it's slim to none chance that if taking your birth control properly AND using condoms that you would get pregnant
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

My mother NEVER talked to me about birth control and at that age you can't really make Dr. appointments or see the Dr. without your parents knowing. I did not feel comfortable what so ever talking to my mother about BC. Also, I am terrible at remembering to take pills, so it was a deal breaker for me. I resorted to using condoms. In my case, it broke. And now I have one of the most well mannered smart kids in the world. He's a GT student, elected class president (in the 5th grade), joining JrUN, learning 2 languages and so on. LOL!!

LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 2:18 AM on Mar. 12, 2009