Infertilty help

I know insurance wont cover infertility treatments. I was wondering how much it cost..not IVF but just like the drug therapy and the work up? We have been trying for over 2 yrs now. I had a miscarriage last year in Aug. My ob/gyn is NOT being very helpful at all. I am running out of time here! I will be 39 this fall. I want to know if this is something we can afford to pursue or should I just forget it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• You should find another Ob/gyn if he's not being helpful.
    When I first went in and the doctor checked what my insurance covered (which was NOTHING!) he did the tests (blood, ultrasound, nothing big) and kept putting it down for abnormal bleeding (so insurance would cover it) lol. Just wanted to help us out and it was great. I only have to use provera and clomid which if you get at walmart isnt expensive at all.
    Sorry your having problems! I hope you get your positve soon!
    Amanda3187

Answer by Amanda3187 at 5:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Call your local clinic and ask. They have billing departments that can also help you figure out how to afford it. Also, your insurance might cover much of the diagnostics and maybe some of the treatments, just not advanced techniques like IVF. You might just want to call them and ask. The billing department at your clinic might know because of other patients with your insurance.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 5:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• First and foremost, change OB's. There are TONS of OB's out there so you should defiantely change to a different doc. When you do that they will be able to talk to you about your different options, treatments, and possibly refer you to a clinic.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 6:52 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I agree with halfpint - call the local clinic and see what info they can give you. You might have to come in for a consulation to get all the info you need, but I think most clinics are willing to work with you and help you figure out what costs to expect and even suggest different ways to pay for treatment. Also, your insurance MIGHT cover some of the testing that is necessary before treatment - my insurance covered a lot of the "finding out what's wrong phase" and my doctor made sure we used the insurance for everything we could.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i agree with the others too - a new OB is a very good idea!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• good nutrition and detox your body  can  help.  see www.sharethecause.com  email me for more info    jmcansler@gmail.com

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 11:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Thank you for all the answers.
    Anonymous