Do you get offended when strangers talk to your child?

We were in a store the other day, and my daughter was standing about 5 feet from me and DH and this lady came up, and stood in between us and our daughter and knelt down and just started talking to her. I walked around her and told her to "come on" and the lady was like, Oh, is she yours? Um, yeah! I'm standing right here with her!! ( I didnt say that of course) but the she just preceded to talk to her, it just pisses me off!!! And when people think they can just come up to her and touch her! Shes not a dog damnit! quit petting my child!!! Sorry, just had to vent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes if they get all close to her like that! An employee at Target reached her arms out to my dd to hold her without asking us...she's only 5 months!! I said, um no you're a stranger!!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:49 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I don't want people to touch my child, but I don't mind people talking to her. But then again, she talks to everyone. Her new thing is walking up to people and saying I'm Gracie! She also tries to give everyone her stickers.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:53 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Thats cute Toriandgrace. I don't mind them talking either and I don't think we should teach kids to be afraid to talk to everyone. You'll keep her from being shy that way...its just the people who get extra close or want to hold her that annoy me.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• When they talk to her? Nope. You know, as long as they aren't offering her crack or something. She's my daughter, not my property. If she doesn't mind someone talking to her, that's her decision to make, and if she does mind she lets them know.
    Mergath

Answer by Mergath at 4:41 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Not offended,just annoyed if we're in a rush or something,lol
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 5:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I don't mind people talking to them but, we live in a small old town so, the older people always talk to them at stores. My 5 y/o is a little too friendly though. He will walk to anyone and tell them his name and age and his siblings names and ages, he gets in trouble for that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It depends on the person with talking. An older person, another mom, someone who looks decent, it's fine. My kids understand the concept of being polite and know not to go anywhere with the stranger, to scream, etc. if something happens. But if the person looks sleazy, or like they're drunk or high, or something just seems off to me, then yes, it bothers me and I won't hesitate to stop them. I have been known to grasp someone's wrist and remove their hand from my child, though, b/c that I don't like.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I don't get offended if someone talks to my children in public, but my caution level increases and I will move closer to my children, maybe put my hand on their shoulder. But if someone tried to touch my kids, yeah, that's a no go, and I'd take my kid's hand and walk away.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You know what I hate is when people come up and tell them how pretty they are and how when I am not looking their going to snatch them up and take them home to thier house!!!!!! That makes me so mad.I told an elederly man once I liked to see you try.
    trinity8697

Answer by trinity8697 at 7:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i agree with the aspect of letting a older person talk to my kids, when my oldest was little a person tried to take her away from me in the grocery store, i knocked the lady out, she was a teen who had decided to stop taking her anti-nuts drugs. She had a "few" issues and made her act that way. the police officer called me a couple days later. We lived in a very big city, and to this day, i worry when i go to that big city.

some people are strange, some are stupid, and some just don't think.
    Nickquilts

Answer by Nickquilts at 7:47 AM on Mar. 12, 2009