How do you get your toddler to brush their teeth?

I struggle every time to brush my sons teeth. Is there a song you sing to them or a certain way you do it? I have to hold his hands and brush his teeth or have my DH make him laugh to get him to open his mouth. He likes to chew on the britsles but doesnt get the brushing his teeth part. He is 17months. Any suggestions?

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 3:27 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 2 and still doesnt under stand brushing teeth. i was told by his speech therapist to try a vibrating toothbrush if he's into vibrations like feeling speakers when its booming or something. if he likes the vibrating then they said that a vibrating toothbrush should do the trick. that way when he's just chewing on the bristles its also cleaning the teeth. i havent tried it yet cuz i'm tight on money but pm me if it works for you :) my suggestion on the behalf of my sons therapist lol
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 3:31 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i had the same problem, and still kind of do. i used to have to hold him down and brush his teeth really quick, but i figured that would make him hate it even more. so i tried brushing my teeth with him, and it worked for the most part. i even got a toothbrush that makes music! (i tried the vibrating one but hes scared of it lol) sometimes he will brush my teeth and ill brush his at the same time, or he'll just brush his own. but there are days when he won't want to at all, and i have to sit there and bribe him to brush his teeth.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 3:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• We have a vibrating race care tooth brush and he thinks is the coolest ever to be able to use it. We let him pick out his tooth paste - Little Bear too. My GF's son uses a vibrating Diego one and she says he loves brushing his teeth now; he used to fight with her over it. I put my DS on the bathroom counter and let him brush his teeth for awhile and then offer to help to make sure we get them all.

To help with him being scared of the vibrating one (trust me mine gets spooked over everything) we let him use it without turning it on, then us turning it on and watching it, then letting him turn it on and off a million times so he feels like he can control it. Worked like a charm. GL!
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 9:04 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I made up a song to let me brush her teeth. it goes brush brush brush your teeth morning noon and night. brush your teeth to get those germies out, they make your teeth sick. she loves it and she knows that i can only sing the song when i brush her teeth.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 9:22 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I bought my kids tooth brushes that sing songs or the ones that flash while they brush! NO PROBLEM!
    Mrs.Starbucks

Answer by Mrs.Starbucks at 9:27 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Same here Caine who is 2 now has been brushing his teeth (with my help) since about a year. He's great about it now Part of it is starting early. I get whatever kind of toothbrush he's into, right know its spongbob electric.
    cainesmama

Answer by cainesmama at 4:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009