How do you get your toddler to brush their teeth?

I struggle every time to brush my sons teeth. Is there a song you sing to them or a certain way you do it? I have to hold his hands and brush his teeth or have my DH make him laugh to get him to open his mouth. He likes to chew on the bristles but doesn't get the brushing his teeth part. He is 17months. Any suggestions?

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 3:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I remember loving it as a child because I picked out my own brushes and had bubble gum toothepaste. Whats not tolike about that?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yeah he loves the toothpaste but as soon as it is gone from the toothbrush he starts to fight me brushing his teeth. I dont think its good to put more on the toothbrush cause i dont him thinking its ok to swallow it.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 3:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My son is two (26 months).  We start by going into the bathroom and brushing our teeth together.  He sits on the counter and watches himself in the mirror.  Then we take turns brushing each other's teeth.  I ask him to "help Mommy" and he gets a big kick out of brushing my teeth.  It puts him in a great mood and it becomes a fun game.  He's very receptive when it's my turn to help him brush his teeth. 

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 3:50 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My question would be how do I get my toddler to not brush her teeth? She sneaks in the bathroom and steals her toothbrush.

I let her brush for a few minutes, and then I brush them.

I have heard some people pretend like there are choos in the kids mouth and mom is chasing them with the tooth brush. Maybe try that?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:50 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• haha, yeah that probably wouldnt be good. the vibrating response you got might be a good one to try though. Maybe give him a non-food treat whenever he brushes them correctly? I hope you find something that works!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Oh you could try a vibrating toothbrush, my daughter has one for therapy reasons, and she loves it.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I tried the vibration toothbrush. He likes it for a few seconds then wants it off. So that didnt work but thank you!!
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 4:03 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think it is a a stage. He should get past it as long as you make sure you don't stop brushing his teeth. Keep the routine and he will get use to it. My 4 year old son stills whines about brushing his teeth. Some kids just don't like it but they just have to learn that sometimes we all have to do things they dont like for our own good. Oh..and the cavity creep story helps too!! What child wants those creeps crawling around in their mouth all night long!
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 4:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My son is almost 20 months he's been brushing his teeth forever. What I do is let him brush it himself for awhile (he usually copies how I'm brushing my teeth) Then I take the toothbrush from him and brush his front teeth while saying Brushy Brush Brush Brush (its sort of like one of those yo gabba gabba songs if you watch the show) give it back let him do it, take it away again, brush his side teeth again while singing and When its all done finish with a big YAY. I say let mommy see those beautiful little teeth and he laughs and smiles and goes destroys our home lol. This usually takes about no more than 10 minutes. He doesnt like me taking away his toothbrush. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!
    jjsmommi5

Answer by jjsmommi5 at 4:47 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• a fun toothbrush & toothpaste set...and I tell them no playing until they do it
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 5:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2009