potty training troubles..

i know this is a common question here on CM. but my son know's how to hold in the pee (not sure about the poop though) and everytime i ask him if he wants to go potty on the toilet he says no. the only time he wants to is when im already changing his diaper he'll say "pee pee on the toilet" and he'll actually go. and also when im about to give him a bath he'll go on the toilet. what should i do?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 3:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've read that it is good practice to tell them touse the potty, instead of asking whether or not they want to. If they view it as a choice, they will likely chose to stay put an dplay with their toys every time. So instead make it just part of the daily routine.

This is just what I've read, though. We haven't even begun training yet, so I have no personal experience.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If he knows he has to go.. then he can make it.
    I put nothing on my boy - except a t-shirt and big boy underwear.. and gave him LOTS to drink.. About once every half hour or so.. we would race to the bathroom. I let mine stand up..and aim.. I tossed a couple of cheerios in the water.. and would tell him to "sink the cheerio".
    It was more of a game for him.. and everytime he went.. i made a BIG deal out of it.. jump up and down and cheer.. yippie.. After a while.. i moved potty time to once an hour.. and soon (within the week) just when i would ask.. or when he would ask me.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• We tried everything that people told us to try with my daughter, NOTHING WORKED!!!!! My daughter is very head strong and will not do what she does not want to do! My MIL told my daughter she would get her swim lessons if she got potty trained ! My husband told my daughter that each time she would go potty that he would buy her a toy! Guess what it only took her three days, can you believe it???? For a whole year we had been trying to potty train her! And she has only had one accident since June 2008!
    Mrs.Starbucks

Answer by Mrs.Starbucks at 9:22 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I used the sticker trick with my daughter. I went and got a pack of stickers from the store and told my daughter every time she used the potty she could pick one out and have it (sometimes I would let her get 2 esp if she pooped on the potty) It worked like a charm. Also to mix it up sometimes I would let her have 1 m&m if she peed or pooped on the potty.
    sunkiss456

Answer by sunkiss456 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• They ALWAYS say no. Even when they're trained. If you're having them initiate it, then let them have accidents. If you're taking him at intervals, then firmly state, "it's time to go potty." The question always has the same answer, even if they're squirming to hold it in. You can say "I can see you need to go potty because you're doing the pee pee dance. Let's go" That worked pretty well for us.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009