what should a 5wk old baby weigh

my son weighs 14 pounds and his 5 weeks old . he was 9 pounds at birth

dunaganbaby

Asked by dunaganbaby at 5:41 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A 5 week old baby should weigh a bit more than it did at birth. Each baby will follow their own growth curve.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:10 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Here is what I found.. not sure if you are BF or FF.. but either way..
    The website I looked at says this:

Breastfed and formula-fed babies grow at different rates. In general, breastfed babies tend to be leaner, which is healthier, especially in the long run. Here's a general guide to the growth of breastfed babies during the first year:

Weight gain of 4-7 ounces (112-200 grams) a week during the first month
    An average of 1-2 pounds (1/2 to 1 kilogram) per month for the first six months
    An average of one pound (1/2 kilogram) per month from six months to one year
    Babies usually grow in length by about an inch a month (2.5c.m.) during the first six months, and around one-half inch a month from six months to one year.

Check out more at: http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Normal+Weight+Gain+for+Infants&page=1&qsrc=2070&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.askdrsears.com%2Fhtml%2F2%2FT023600.asp
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 8:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• "...which is healthier, especially in the long run."

Bull.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i'm with anon 832. my baby is in the 50th% in her weight and the 75th% in her length! and she is formula fed. I don't think she is too heavy or too little. Most people think she is bigger, but thats just because she is extra long and has chubby cheeks.

my little girl is very healthy. i was formula fed and i am healthy as well. my step kids were formula fed and are both healthy weights.

but back to the actual question; that sounds like a lot to me, but you should have just been to the doctor not too long ago. if there are any concerns, you should talk to your babies doctor. mine always gives us the percentile of where my baby compares to others her age - that way you know what is "normal" and if your doctor thought your baby weighed too much or too little, I would think they would let you know and try to give you ideas on how to fix the problem. let your doc. know you are concerned though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My son was 8 lbs and 21 inches long at birth, and he was 13lbs at his 2mo. check-up. So he was about 7-8 weeks old at that time. Your son is fine, if the pediatric was concerned about his weight, he/she would have brought it up. But right now, it is impossible to overfeed a baby, unless you force-feed. He will stop drinking when he is full, and he will gain weight at his own rate. I know a lot of chunky babies who turned into skinny-beans as toddlers. My son is 23 pounds at 9 months old. He is also quite tall. His weight gain is slowing down a lot, and he's on the move. Things are evening out a lot now! Don't worry. But I don't blame you for worrying. I know I was worried about my son's weight as well. My pediatric says that weight is not a worry, as long as it slows down after they are one.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• in the long run could mean 10 years down the line, seriously would you want your child overweight and out of shape? i think not
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• oh.. i didn't mean to start a BF vs FF war. i just grabbed a general guide line from the website I was looking at. Sorry.
    Only 1 of my 4 kids was exclusively breast fed - and i only BF her for 6 weeks. She is as healthy as the other 3. Honestly .. I don't care if a mom BF or FF feeds.. as long as they love and care for their baby. You have to do what is right for you and yours.

But.. my youngest is 6 months.. she weighed 6lbs 9oz at birth.. and just now weights 15lbs 6 ounces. (went from 21 inches to 26) She is tall and thin.
    You kind of have to look at genetics too.. and weight vs length.. Lots of factors.. but the above was a GENERAL guide line. (and if you look at the website.. it says that regardless of BF or FF - the first few months.. weight gain is about the same)
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2009