Is foster care a good example of a government run program? Would Universal Health Care have similarly negitative statistics?

Child Advocate and civil rights attorney Linda Wallace Pate says “I don’t think people really understand how poorly the government provides parenting for children. I don’t think people understand that the rate of abuse and neglect in foster care is four times higher than in the general public. Research indicates that within four hours of children being taken from their parents, they suffer six times more post-traumatic stress than children in Iraq, or veterans or soldiers. Most of the children who age out of the foster care system are homeless within three months. Seventy percent of the people in prison came out of the foster care system." She explains that in Los Angeles County the foster care system receives large amounts of funding. "I don’t want people to think that children aren’t receiving proper care because they don’t have money to do that," she says.

Who thinks Universal Health Care would be any better?

sw33t_blond3

Asked by sw33t_blond3 at 6:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-13 Credits)
  • I am not for UHC for the simple reason that the government already has 3 programs, Veteran's, Medicare and Medicaid, that they do not manage very well. The healthcare our veteran's receive is a shame. The deserve so much better then what they get. They defend our country, keep us safe and risk their lives. The least we can do is to provide them with excellent health care. Medicare and Medicaid are already in place also and they have some quirks to the system also. Prior approval of meds is one and prior approval for testing. These decisions are made by someone that does not even know you and they decide what you get and what you don't. Foster care and adoption in the USA are a joke and if ever a system needed overhauling, it is them.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I had no idea the foster care statistics were so alarming! But to answer your questions...yes, I do believe UHC would be much like the foster care system...only the basic/fundamental care would be given (assuming you see a doctor, and they prescribe treatment within a reasonable amount of time), you would be reduced to a number, and ultimately you get what you pay for!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:54 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Absolutely! Look at European Health Care systems. The problems are beyond numerous. If we were to nationalize health care, people from around the world would be allowed to come to our hospitals and be treated on the American taxpayer's dime. But beyond that, simple things like getting blood work done and such would require a long waiting list. For blood work? No thanks! What if I had something serious, like cancer? Get on the list. It's kind of like waiting for an organ. Hopefully I don't dye of cancer while I'm waiting!

Besides that; take it from Canada: An estimated 90,000 Canadians sought medical care outside their country in 2005. The cry "no two-tiered system" could be replaced by "set our patients free," stated a lead editorial (National Post 9/18/06)."
    Jewish World Review Dec. 1, 2006 by Dr. Glueck

Others have said that by 2016 or 2017 health care would be consuming 50% of Alberta's budget! That's insane!
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 7:38 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• That's funny because as foster parents we have to take hours and hours of preservice training as well as continuing education and OUR kids haven't been taken away due to abuse and neglect. Maybe all parents should have to take these classes as well and there wouldn't be as much need for foster care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Unfortunately, intelligence is not a requirement for parenthood... Or other things for that matter :(.

sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 7:52 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Great post. as well as Social Sec, Medicare.... All are GOVERNMENT programs that have a dismal financial future. I encourage ANYONE to name 5 assistance programs implemented or managed by the US government that has been successfully managed (both financially and maganged successfully to the citizens).
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Great challenge! Let me see if I can think of any... this may take a while ;P............................................
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 8:04 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Close friends of ours are foster parents to 4 children and the problem I see on their end is letting the parents get by with anything, drugs, drinking, not showing up for visits, etc... They give them too many chances and the children are used in a parent tug of war... Our friends have been trying to adopt the 4 children and have had no luck... They are 2 sets of siblings and they have been fighting to keep them together... It's so sad.
    As for UHC, my husband is from the UK and he said he and his family never had a problem with the healthcare they recieved in England.. He said it would be so much better here if we had what they had. He was never refused care, etc... I don't think you can express an opinion on something like that unless you have experienced it yourself... I don't know what system would work as far as healthcare is concerned, we are self employed and pay for our insurance and it's not cheap...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• 4x4mom- Actually, my god mother was born in Spain and raised in England. She does have first hand experience with health care in the UK, and she paints a much different picture than your husband. Besides that, I am currently living in Italy and I do understand how universal health care works, and the problems associated with it. So before you make assumptions that I am ignorant about the system and it's flaws, you might consider asking me how my point of view was determined. Why don't YOU try European health care form your own conclusion... this is Mine. Ciao.
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Ps- My son was born in Italy
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 12, 2009