what does the exercise bike at the gym do for you? what part of your body does it work out? is it considered cardio?

kiliki_malie

Asked by kiliki_malie at 6:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Your legs, and yes it can be low impact cardio because it does work your heart.

Its the lowest calorie burner for me so I don't really bother with it. I think if you can a book while you're exercising you aren't working hard enough. LOL
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 7:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It is cardio. It works your lower ab and your legs. If it has the arm moving feature, it can also work your arms and upper back. It isn't really weight bearing, or not much anyway, so it doesn't do much for your bones. If it is what you enjoy, then stay with it, since finding exercises that you enjoy help you stick with them. Perhaps once or more a week you can try another machine or do other cardio.

Answer by Bmat at 7:56 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It's cardio and workslyour legs, like otehrs have said. It can be a great option for people who need low impact exercises.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:24 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You can make it a great cardio if you do interval training on it. There are several way to do so and an internet search would help. An example----go all out for 20 seconds and then slower for 10 seconds. Or go all out for a minute and rest for 30 seconds. You should only be able to do so for about 20 minutes. Search something called Tabata. More and more trainers are going to this type of cardio for fat loss instead of "long, slow burns". It really revs up your metabolism. Do a search and find out:-) You can get great results in half the time IF you really push yourself. That is why sprinters are the athletes with the best bodies and lowest body fat---research it:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• LOL- I had so many spelling errors in my other statements I went ahead and deleted them!

sorry about that.

What I MEANT to say is- it's a FULL BODY WORKOUT
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Try a spin class if your gym offers it, you will get an excellent cardio workout!
    jennykid11

Answer by jennykid11 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My daughter and I took spinning together at the college. One teacher was a "normal" certified spinning teacher. She was ok--nothing super tough. The other one was awesome--she was an ultra distance marathon runner and it was tough!!!!! But it is basically learning to do interval training on the bike:-)
    Anonymous

• It is not a full body workout unless you use hand weights and work your arms. A full body incorporates all the major muscles and sitting on a bike pedaling isn't going to work your arms/shoulders. There is some core in there for the balance:-)
    Anonymous