I have a question for military wives

I have a question for those of you who are military wives..

I may sound really clueless by asking this and i kind of am but im curious so ill ask

I was just wondering becuase ive seen alot of militray wives on here and some are still here in the US and some are overseas on a base with their husbands... I was wonering if that is choice or if the military decides it for you or a little of both? also if it a choice is it a choice for everyone or is it based on rank , loctaion ect ect..

also is the army base close to where your lved one is at do you see them every night? (i know its not ight where the fightin is obviuosly)

sorry if i sound really stupid but i was jsut kinda curious

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:12 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• sorry no one is answering your question. some one should be on soon that can though. i know nothing about it sorry
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:45 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My husband getting stationed in Korea was the Army's choice. All the duty stations we've been at so far hubby has had a say. You get a wish list (top 3 places you want to go) your branch manager usually tries to get you one of your top 3- but sometimes it's not possible and they go by the needs of the Army. It was our choice for our daughters and I to move to Korea and be with my hubby. When you get stationed somewhere in the states- if there's housing available on post then you can move there. Usually there's a waiting list and you will get BAH (money for rent/utilities to live off post) the money you get is based on rank and whether you're married or single. Yes, you get to see your spouse every night, unless they're out in the field or doing some other kind of training or if they're deployed.

Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 8:52 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Sorry if there's any typos- it's late and I'm getting ready to go to bed.
    Aviators_Wife

• Oh, and I forgot to say the housing thing is the same overseas also. We're living off post (we have for 8 months) and we're getting ready to move on post in 2 weeks!!! I am so excited.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 8:54 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• One more thing I forgot to add- is BAH is based on location also. So you'll get more if you're in the L.A/San Diego area then you would in Utah.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 8:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I cant speak for the Army wives but I am a Navy wife. Where we are stationed is a little of both. When it comes time for new orders, they have a list of ones that need to be filled and hubby "applies" for them. Sometimes the military manipulates that sometimes not. Each rank and rate (job) has its own list of possible orders.
    As far as seeing him everynight, when he's home, yes I do. Its kind of like working a regular job in a way. He get up and goes to work everyday, like a "normal" person, and comes home when he gets off.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yep, agreed with above. My dh is retired from active Army and about to fully retire from the ARNG. He picked most of his Insullations. (Army isn't 'Base'). He actually pissed off his Navy father when he said he was going to Ft Knox (when he first joined) and his father said no- you have no say. Well, he got Ft Knox. lol He went to Germany 2x, we weren't together then. He was married to his now ex for his second tour there. She stayed in America though- her choice (she was having an affair that he didn't find out about till his injury in Iraq). Anyways. When going overseas families have a choice whether or not to go, when she stayed in America she stayed on the insullation in their apt while he had a roomate in Germany. As for when he was active, he went in about 5 or 6am, depending, and came home around 5, unless pulling guard. So yeah, he came home nightly, which worked well when he was a single dad and his lil one was w/ him
    OneLove4Jesus

Answer by OneLove4Jesus at 9:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• this is JMO...OK
    the BAH for Army is based on Zip Code w/dependents or w/out dependents
    oconous or conous...just depends......you will never be put wher the 'actoin' is like well Korea for instance the Army will move him over there BUT they will have a weight limit for your belongings and if you go over that weight limit you pay for the rest to be moved yourself and the other suckie part is he has to pay for you plus the children to move/fly over there plus apt. too they will not pay...that is one of the many reasons why spouses wont go to Korea...JMO and from what ive heard too (in your window kinda crap)
    you can find out this info other ways too there are websites here is a lin i found i hope this helps with some of the questions you may have.......
    http://www.us-army-info.com/
    poobear5

Answer by poobear5 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• LOL
    ooooppppss...LOL....wrong link....might be this one...ha ha ha sorry
    http://www.army.mil/
    poobear5

Answer by poobear5 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• We had to pay for our own tickets to Korea- that's true. But the soldiers that live off post get OHA (overseas housing allowance) so you don't pay out of pocket for your rent. So a lot of people bring their families out here. A lot has changed and I also thought we would have to pay out of pocket fore everything- not true. Yes, they do have a weight limit, but apartments off post and on are fully furnished (it's actually nice furniture).
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 9:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2009